Talk

Advanced search

Not doing English at Higher - is it a problem?

(2 Posts)
Nospringflower Thu 19-Jan-17 08:08:09

My son wants to study medicine, preferably at Oxford but if not the best he can get a place. We are in Scotland and so do Highers and Advanced Highers after doing National 5s in S4.

He is now at the stage of choosing his Highers and wants to drop English. He doesn't enjoy it and it isn't on the list of required subjects for medicine other than at Nat5/GCSE level.

I get his reasoning but when I was at school anyone academically able to do it was strongly advised to. Not sure if things have changed.

Does anyone think this will cause difficulties? Thanks for any advice

PurpleFrog Fri 20-Jan-17 12:40:16

As long as he gets a good grade at Nat5, I don't think he will require English at Higher for any Science degrees. He should concentrate on getting 5 Highers with brilliant grades, including all the pre-requisites for Medicine. If he changes his mind next year he can always pick up Higher English in S6. Remember that English pupils do fewer A-levels, so are unlikely to do English along with Sciences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now