Talk

Advanced search

Sorry - another mature student help!

(8 Posts)
Parmaviolets13 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:06:09

I am looking into going to uni to study midwifery (going to have to go to college/study at OU first to get in) but wondering how people do it money wise.

I live with my DP, we own our own house but small mortgage. He only earns around 17k a year, and although it would be incrediblyyyy tight (think less than a £100 or less left a month!) it could be doable.

Just wondering how people do it? I would have to commute as nearest uni that does midwifery is about an hour away, so car still needed.
Can you work alongside a course like this without dying of exhaustion? How do people cope money wise?! Ive had a look to see if im entitled to anything and I think I would be but its so confusing!

Any help please? ☺️☺️ Thank you.

Oh, no children either so childcare not a problem!

Parmaviolets13 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:37:29

Bumping sad

OutDamnedWind Mon 16-Jan-17 10:00:25

Firstly, have you investigated what student finance you may be eligible for? And whether your preferred unis offer any bursaries to low income students?

RedHelenB Mon 16-Jan-17 18:04:23

You would be eligible for more or less a full loan so shouldnt be a need to get a job.

TribbleTrouble Mon 23-Jan-17 23:18:43

Doing a similar course and halfway through mine, I ran some numbers similar to yours to help out my uni work out affordability for mature students. If you'd like a copy, I can email it to you.

FWIW, I have a family and a dh and we manage alright on what we get. We pay all who need to get paid, and put food on the table. Feel free to Pm me.

TynesideBlonde Mon 23-Jan-17 23:45:47

Midwifery is massively competitive. You might need to use the free time while doing access course to gain practical experience that will set you apart - healthcare settings, women's groups, advocacy etc - which could limit time available for payed work

TribbleTrouble Tue 24-Jan-17 14:36:49

You could do an online access course, I did mine that way and did some online volunteering, worked with toddler groups etc. If you can do the breastfeeding councillor stuff then that will help.

ellaphant1987 Thu 26-Jan-17 12:15:28

Hi hun could I have a copy please? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now