What course can I do?

(6 Posts)
Parmaviolets13 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:39:03

I would like to eventually go to uni to do midwifery.
I have looked into redoing my maths GCSE, and will apply when the date allows (think it's too early in the year yet) that'll be part time in the evening.

I also - probably after the maths - would like to do a diploma with Open Univeristy that would allow me to apply for uni.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I did email OU but the email I received back was very confusing. If I get no answers tonight il ring them monday.

Thank you smile

OP’s posts: |
Sadusername Sat 07-Jan-17 22:15:46

A lot of colleges offer 1 year access to nursing and midwifery courses. You would need to double check with the university you want to apply to will accept it. This is an example, there will be one near you. They may include GCSE mAths.

Parmaviolets13 Sun 08-Jan-17 00:08:53

I've thought about that but ideally would like to stay in employment whilst doing it to save money, and access courses are full time :-(

OP’s posts: |
Parmaviolets13 Sun 08-Jan-17 00:09:23

Thank you though! ☺️

OP’s posts: |
Mottlemoth Sun 08-Jan-17 00:12:20

Not all access courses are full time. A friend of mine is doing a Access to Nursing and Midwifery course. She is doing it part time over two years so she can work at the same time. Because Nursing courses at Uni require maths GCSE, she is doing that as part of her course as well.

kimlek Mon 16-Jan-17 08:08:33

Which university are you considering for your midwifery degree? Either call or email their admissions office and ask them. They will have preferred courses and will be able to give you recommendations. Many universities run their own access courses for nursing and midwifery (often including maths) but may not be during the hours you need - but ask!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in