Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

UCAS application - will my D grade go against me?

(25 Posts)
IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 02:03:21

I've sent off my UCAS application, to study English lit. Personal statement I'm happy with (well, excruciatingly embarrassed by, and of course I'm deeply scared that it's all wrong and that'll laugh in disbelief that I would think that it's adequate, but no more than I would expect grin), reference seems okay, predicted grades are above typical entry requirements for most places I've applied to, and I've already got my results for the English lit part of my course (again, grades all fine). Only trouble is, I have a D at GCSE. In English lit. It's from 2002, when I was going through a bad time, but still. A D grade. In the subject I want to study.

I've actually spoken to people from all the universities I've applied to, at open days or by email, and all have said it's fine, it's from years ago, they will only look at my most recent study. But I'm wobbling here and need some reassurance!

RedHelenB Fri 16-Dec-16 08:11:57

If you have asked the unis you're applying to if it's fine and they've said yes then it's fine! Good luck with your application.

TheMortificadosDragon Fri 16-Dec-16 08:17:41

If they say it's fine, then believe them. If there is the odd person who counts it against you - well, it's their loss and you'd be better with one of the other places.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be getting some offers through soon! smile

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 11:25:54

Thank you!

It's a scary process… how on earth do 17 year olds manage it? grin

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 16-Dec-16 14:18:54

I know from experience that Oxbridge admissions would take into account that you were going through a bad time, and that you've since got much better grades at a higher level (ie., wouldn't be likely to give a flying fuck).

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 14:32:16

Thank you - glad to hear about absence of flying fucks! I do at least have 5 A* to C including English and maths, which is lucky as I've had to use that particular golden ticket many times hmm

Out of interest, does anyone have any idea why UCL might have really weird requirements stated for Access to HE?

For one thing, most universities I've considered applying to have requirements of either 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits, or 45 Distinctions. UCL states 23 Distinctions, the rest at Merit. UCL's A level requirements would suggest they would offer 45 Distinctions! (It's probably irrelevant, as I have about the same chance of getting a UCL offer as I have of growing a third eyeball, but what the hell.) I checked other subjects at UCL, and they all seem to state similarly low Access grade requirements.

The other weird thing is that requirements at other places are always something that's in multiples of 3, since there are no units on my course (or AFAIK any Access to HE course) worth less than three credits. Weird. I wonder if they've just averaged out previous offers they've given.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 14:37:48

I very strongly suspect that in reality they don't take anyone with less than 45 Distinctions.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 16:28:50

Although they offered my mum EE in 1972 so who knows.

ohmygodyouguys Fri 16-Dec-16 16:31:21

I had a D in advanced higher geography. I didn't get the results I wanted for a psychology degree and went through clearing in the end but it was that D that got me a place.

SelfCleaningVagina Fri 16-Dec-16 16:34:10

The days of being offered a place at a good university based on Ds and Es are long, long gone.

What do you mean by 'already got the grades for the English Lit part of my course.' ? What course are you doing? Is it IB or the Scottish system?

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 17:11:46

The days of being offered a place at a good university based on Ds and Es are long, long gone.

Yeah, I know that, really, I just thought it was funny that universities used to do that grin

I'm doing an Access to HE course (for people who missed out on A levels first round…), part-time (so over two years instead of one). We take two subjects each year - last year I took English lit and law; this year I'm doing history and philosophy. There's not a lot of choice in subjects; I got to choose between psychology and philosophy for my minor subject (minor subject only gives 9 graded credits rather than 12) but otherwise, you get what you're given on the Humanities pathway, or I certainly wouldn't have done law!

So, I already have 24 graded credits - 12 each from English lit and Law - and will take 21 graded credits this year - 12 from history and 9 from philosophy.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 17:13:10

*first time round - damn phone keeps missing words 😒

SelfCleaningVagina Fri 16-Dec-16 17:15:43

Okay thanks for explaining. I am sure that if it's an access course then you past D grade won't matter a jot. You have lovely subjects there, they are what I would choose if I were in your shoes now. Good luck!

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 17:24:30

I wasn't quite sure how much detail to go into - responses when I start explaining it, range from "oh yeah, an Access course, of course I know what that is, every sheep and his wife I know has done one of those" to "huh? I still don't get it…" grin

Thanks!

Manumission Fri 16-Dec-16 17:24:44

UCL have really weird requirements for everything.

They look down their noses at Oxbridge wink

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 17:27:59

Don't I just know it?! grin

(My brother had a research job there, but did the Cambridge tripos and a PhD at Durham, so he's told me all about rivalries… 😂)

Manumission Fri 16-Dec-16 17:40:27

He had feet in every camp then smile

If your grades are good and everyone has declared the GCSE issue fine, you need to try to view the submitted UCAS as a bought lottery ticket and forget it for a bit. You've done your bit.

Easier said that done with the blasted new-fangled 'track' nonsense, I know.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 17:45:02

Why, what did they have before Track? I know back in prehistory it all used to be paper-based…

PaperdollCartoon Fri 16-Dec-16 17:46:08

You'll be fine, they adjust grades for mature students anyway. I only have two GCSEs as I was unwell as a teenager, both gained after leaving school, I then did A levels in my twenties and went to uni, my offer (for top ten uni) was much lower than the usual requirement as they take other things into account, and I only did 2 A levels. I still got an A* and an A though grin

Manumission Fri 16-Dec-16 18:18:07

Ahem. Judging by your GCSE year I'm only a few years older than you MadameLatte. Prehistory indeed you cheeky baggage! grin

Letters, woman! Through the door. Nothing for the applicant to monitor or check.

Manumission Fri 16-Dec-16 18:19:29

Well, if "a few years" means "about a decade" anyway blush

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 18:25:48

Sorry blushgrin Consider me chastised!

I think if I'd done it at the usual time I'd have been paper-based too, or at the very most one of the first electronic ones.

Blooming Track. I've only refreshed it three or four times today, though! <self control>

Manumission Fri 16-Dec-16 18:32:31

Already!? You're in trouble smile

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 18:46:16

I think since Access is already fire make students, they probably don't adjust the grades for that itself, but I guess you'll be right about the GCSEs Paper.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Dec-16 18:47:20

*^for mature^ <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now