Talk

Advanced search

Bursary given but on know why!

(15 Posts)
triplets Wed 14-Dec-16 01:07:53

Hi just checked my daughters bank account to see if she is managing on her £48 a week from her maintenance loan as she never checks it. It was looking good until I realised that a week ago a £330 bursary was paid into her account. I have no idea why, what it is or where it has come from, is it a loan, or something given? If she hadn't had it she would now be £120 overdrawn! Think I will try and ring the uni finance team tomorrow, worried its a mistake and will have to be paid back. Thank you.

Primaryteach87 Wed 14-Dec-16 01:20:11

I seriously doubt they will discuss your daughters finances with you as she is an adult. It would breach data protection rules.

To reassure you my uni gave bursaries if you got certain grades atA level or if you came from a low income family.

It is possible it is an emergency bursary as she ran out of money. But as it's called a bursary it won't need to be paid back and she was obviously proactive in sorting it out.

All in all- breathe, glass of wine and step out of the helicopter.

triplets Wed 14-Dec-16 01:23:59

Would love a glass of wine but just had chemo today so not allowed sad Thank you for your help. x

triplets Wed 14-Dec-16 01:25:08

Just noticed my heading is wrong..........derrr chemo brain!

Primaryteach87 Wed 14-Dec-16 01:27:32

I'm sorry about the chemo. Hope you are able to stomach something nice to eat soon.

I'm sure your daughter is fine. Best thing to do if you're worried is give her a ring tomorrow.

Manumission Wed 14-Dec-16 01:33:14

Bursaries are never repayable.

£330 sounds like the first term my instalment of a flat rate £1000 annual bursary.

For entry grades? Local student? Firming an unconditional offer early? Something like that?

Don't worry.

Manumission Wed 14-Dec-16 01:33:35

termly^

DollyPlastic Wed 14-Dec-16 21:37:37

At DSs university, the bursaries are paid automatically, without applying, depending upon the figures you put into the student finance application.

It won't need to be paid back, and I expect there will be further payments coming to her.

Hope you're feeling ok brew

PUGaLUGS Wed 14-Dec-16 21:46:48

DS1 received two non repayable amounts last year because he had done well at college. He didn't know anything about it until he received a letter.

This year he qualifies again for doing well last year and will receive the money in three instalments - end of Nov, end of Dec and then May.

Curiousmum69 Wed 21-Dec-16 02:56:02

I got £30 on Friday, just because family income is below 25k.

why are you checking your DD bank account! she is an adult!

Glastokitty Wed 21-Dec-16 03:13:18

I'm sorry about your chemo, but for goodness sake why are you snooping in your daughter's bank account? How will she ever learn to adult if you helicopter parent like this? Time to relax the reins a bit.

InTheDessert Wed 21-Dec-16 03:48:53

Does you daughter know where the money came from? If not, and she wants to, she could contact the finance team. Please don't do it on her behalf. If I discovered my Mum was going through my bank statements, I would be changing the password. Does she know you look at the account??

Hope the after effects of the Chemical subside soon flowers

InTheDessert Wed 21-Dec-16 03:50:36

Sorry, Chemo not chemical blush

goodbyestranger Wed 21-Dec-16 08:15:07

I take the opposite approach to student finances. Although their bank statements still come to the home address I immediately put the DCs' unopened statements in a desk for admin stuff and they can get them in the holidays if they want them - I've absolutely no wish to see what they're spending their income on: the statement's show all retailers, everything!

GnomeDePlume Tue 27-Dec-16 10:30:37

Is it possible the bursary comes from an organisation associated with your DD's former school? The state school my DD went to had an associated charitable trust which gave bursaries to former students. Not huge but a few hundred each year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now