Talk

Advanced search

Asbestos in student accommodation

(8 Posts)
mrsmootoo Tue 18-Oct-16 07:04:00

DD1 has found a warning sign showing there is asbestos in her university accommodation. As a fresher she is reluctant to make a fuss. Should she? Should I helicopter over this? Even if it is harmless if not fiddled with she is stressed about it which isn't a great start to her year. Anyone have any thoughts/experience? Thanks

Artandco Tue 18-Oct-16 07:08:52

Asbestos is usually fine as long as it isn't broken up i.e. The main issue is removing it. There is also three types, and majority in uk is the one as above that is safe unless broken and moved

TBH it was used so much until late 80s as insulation that I think most buildings in the uk have it rather than don't still.

IzzyIsBusy Tue 18-Oct-16 07:08:58

It is harmless as long as it is left.
You could request she change accomadation but they dont have to honour it.
Given that there is a sign they know about it i doubt they will do anything.
Is it halls or a private let?

Artandco Tue 18-Oct-16 07:09:36

The sign also probably means don't put drawing pins into the walls incase you break up parts. Bluetack only

Optimist3 Tue 18-Oct-16 07:12:31

It's usually fine untouched. maybe your DD could talk to a professional so that she feels reassured or its sorted out

Slave2thecat Tue 18-Oct-16 07:15:14

They wouldbt be alowed to let students in if there was a risk. Universities have to be super careful.

Coconutty Tue 18-Oct-16 08:53:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chemenger Tue 18-Oct-16 10:06:31

Often it is safer to leave asbestos where it is than to remove it. The sign indicates that the university knows it is there, has risk assessed it and will manage the risk by ensuring it is not disturbed. I would be more concerned by the risk of asbestos in things like artex in homes, where there is no formal system of control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now