Talk

Advanced search

Uni Freshers 2016 (second thread)

(610 Posts)
soapybox Thu 13-Oct-16 12:27:02

A new thread!

lovelybangers Thu 13-Oct-16 12:55:40

Nice to hear that the boys have been helpful. I hope my DS does the same.

OhFuds Thu 13-Oct-16 12:59:09

Marking place!

Hoping I have a happier DD by the end of this thread.

And it's lovely to read about how the boy's are looking out for others.

thepurplehen Thu 13-Oct-16 14:02:52

Squirrils - I agree that young males are not always treated as well as they could be. I have a DS and a DSD who are the same age. People say things to DS, that they would never dream of saying to DSD despite displaying the same behaviour!

hellsbells99 Thu 13-Oct-16 14:50:15

Thanks for the new thread!

Naughtytummy Thu 13-Oct-16 15:00:53

New thread and still limited contact with DS2.
DS1 is now at the same uni and has seen DS2 in passing, when I asked how he was, DS1 said "alive"
Boys!
Going to try and ring over the weekend, it's been two weeks I want to hear his voice.

Squirrills Thu 13-Oct-16 15:04:49

grin at "alive".

EllenJanethickerknickers Thu 13-Oct-16 17:04:02

Oh good, new thread, thanks soapybox just in time.

We're going up to visit on Saturday. DS1 will be 2 weeks in. So looking forward to it. I'm trying to keep messaging down to a reasonable level, enough to let him know I'm here if necessary and thinking about him, but not so much I'm stalking him. grin

Sorry to hear about poorly DC. I can remember when my friend was really quite ill with nasty tonsillitis at uni, we didn't know what to do. We informed the hall staff in the end and they took her away to stay in the university medical centre for a few days. It was staffed by nurses and was like a mini hospital. Because that was my only experience I kind've assumed all universities did something similar. There must be a need, I'd have thought.

Leeds2 Thu 13-Oct-16 17:25:36

Also sorry that so many DC seem to be quite seriously ill. Hopefully, all are on the mend soon.

OhFuds Thu 13-Oct-16 18:16:50

My DD is home tomorrow for the weekend. This is the 2nd visit since she started on 3rd September and I visited last Sunday, does that sound like too many visits? I think coming home just makes her miss home even more.

Coconutty Thu 13-Oct-16 18:19:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellsbells99 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:43:59

OhFuds - my DD is coming home on Saturday for a night. But I am away and DH is working all weekend. She is going out for a friend's birthday. Hopefully I will get to see her Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours.
I think they just like to know that home is still 'home'. We have said to both DDs that they can come home whenever they like so hopefully they don't feel 'pressure' on them that they have to stay at university.

Cherryburn Thu 13-Oct-16 19:42:09

DD seems to have settled really well so far. Have heard from her by text most days and she's called a couple of times. She too has come down with 'freshers flu' though and is holed up in her room tonight having handed in her first essay today (she went a week past Sunday). Has freshers flu always been a thing? I really don't remember everyone getting ill when I went (30 years ago-eek!)

Leeds2 Thu 13-Oct-16 20:42:56

I started uni in 1984 I don't remember people being ill either. But it does seem be the case these days.

GRW Thu 13-Oct-16 20:52:05

My DD informed me today that she has been ill with flu like symptoms for a couple of days. She has still gone to all her lectures after dosing herself up with paracetamol, so I don't think she's too unwell. I feel reassured that she had her meningitis jab. I hope everyone's DC who have been unwell get better soon.

homebythesea Thu 13-Oct-16 23:18:02

Sadly we will be seeing DS sooner than we thought as his lovely Granny (and my lovely MIL) died yesterday (not unexpected) and so we will gather for the funeral next week (hundreds of miles away for everyone). I will have to send him yet another suit!

I'm still revelling in the quality of the communication we have had since he's been away. Maybe it's distance and/or being on the phone (as opposed to face to face) that allows him to feel comfortable talking about various things that we've never really discussed before - long may it continue

BennyTheBall Thu 13-Oct-16 23:23:34

I started uni in 1988, and I definitely don't remember anyone being ill.

My ds has come home this evening. It's totally weird - he has become a bloke overnight. He is very thin. I had warned him not to get fat, so he has clearly taken me seriously blush

He's happily regaling us with horrendous drunken stories and alarming photos - this is the boy who had had about 7 alcoholic drinks his whole life, and 6 of them were at his leavers' ball!

clam Thu 13-Oct-16 23:27:55

Dd went back today. She's better than she was, but still sounds as if she has a golf ball stuck in her throat. She was determined to go, however, as she has lectures she doesn't want to miss and some sort of function tomorrow night. She took a tray of cakes back for her flatmates, as a thank you to them for being so lovely and looking after her when she was feeling so rough.

granarybeck Thu 13-Oct-16 23:33:12

Thanks for starting a new thread soapybox When I started the thread I wasn't sure anyone would reply! It's been such a nice source of auppprt just to read people experiencing such similar feelings and the little details.

I'm going to see DD this weekend at Warwick, which will be two weeks in and am so excitedsmile She seems to be settling in well but will just be nice to see her and have a face to face catch up.

Hope the poorly dcs start to get better soon. My two have both had the fresher's flu but, touch wood, not as bad as some.

hellsbells99 Thu 13-Oct-16 23:48:37

Sorry to hear about your MIL homebythesea flowers

soapybox Fri 14-Oct-16 00:12:30

I am sorry about your MIL homebythesea but glad you will be seeing your DS.

Granarybeck - I lurk far more than I post these days but I have found the Freshers threads such a comfort as we all get used to our children fleeing the nest so a big thank you for getting us all going!

This weekend is four weeks since DD went and by far the longest we have ever gone without seeing her. My DS is away on a CCF camp this weekend and so DH and I are making the most of our new found freedom and going on a city break!

Then next weekend we are all going to Leeds to see DD! I cannot wait!

granarybeck Fri 14-Oct-16 06:12:00

soapybox same here, I joined MN about 12 yrs ago when it was so much smaller, as were my children! But it's funny how I do pop back at key times like this.

Have a wonderful weekend, we may as well enjoy the perks of our own newfound freedoms just as our dcs are! I bet your DD is looking forward to then seeing you as much as you are the week after.

Coconutty Fri 14-Oct-16 06:55:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Fri 14-Oct-16 07:10:24

Ds got one textbook from a third year but his course is very topical based so really needs latest editions. He's eyeing up one on Amazon but it is still £25. Fortunately much is available online too.

granarybeck Fri 14-Oct-16 07:20:09

Coconutty my DD said her uni did a second hand book fair (poss by subject). She got some a really good price but also said it was really useful to speak to students about which books they'd used through the three years/were worth buying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now