Talk

Advanced search

Radiography advice

(9 Posts)
Sasstastic Wed 28-Sep-16 09:41:11

My daughter is embarking on a career in radiology, so about to apply to uni. She is very excited, keen and sure of her choice of diagnostic radiography. She is achieving high grades and on track to do a great interview, has been to radiology units etc. I am thrilled for her, very proud....except one thing.... I am just niggling worried about her exposure to radiation. She's so young! (Will be only just 18), and it will most probably be a long career. Any advice/ risk information would be so appreciated. How safe is this occupation now? Google is not making me feel better! Any radiographers out there? Thank you!
Ps I haven't over mentioned this to my daughter as I can quite see this could be an over worried mum, and if it is I don't want to pass on my unjustified worries!

Carriemac Wed 28-Sep-16 12:22:44

BTW its not a career in Radiology, its Radiography. Big difference ( up to 100k per year) smile

Occupational doses are v low in the UK , 98%of staff do not exceed the public ionizing radiation dose limit of 1 mSv per year

www.rcr.ac.uk/system/files/publication/field_publication_files/Pregnancy_Work_Diagnostic_Imaging_2nd.pdf

Air hostesses receive a bigger occupational radiation dose than radiographers

Sasstastic Wed 28-Sep-16 16:35:08

Thank you so much for that link Carriemac. I really appreciate it.
Ahhh, Radiography! Oops! blush

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 28-Sep-16 17:11:32

It is very closely monitored dosimeters worn at all times checked regularly to ensure levels of exposure. Radiographers are protected by correct PPE or behind screens as appropriate.

Sasstastic Thu 29-Sep-16 11:33:59

Thanks Lonecatwithkitten. 👍🏻

Draylon Fri 30-Sep-16 10:30:31

I'm a radiographer, and have been doing it for >30 years, and have never picked up a measurable dose on my dosimeter!

It does depend on what branch of radiography you work in, for instance, operating theatre screening, or what we call interventional (barium studies, angiography) does involve you having to be more careful about where exactly you stand and to ensure you're wearing the right protective gear, which should include an appropriately thick lead gown, thryroid protector, even lead-glass specs.

Another area where more care has to be taken is if she does Nuclear Med, which I understand can be a completely separate degree these days; but should she end up doing general (plain film) radiography or CT, you get no radiation dose at all as you stand behing a lead glass screen during the exposure; or Ultrasound or MRI which don't use ionising radiation.

To my mind, a greater threat to a radiographer's health, by far, is Jeremy Hunt's 7 day working! Coupled with the national shortage of most HCPs, very much including radiographers, the pressure to do more night shifts than are good for you can be huge. The upside, I guess, is that I work with 25 year olds who are buying their first house on the proceeds!

Sasstastic Fri 30-Sep-16 13:02:10

I can't begin to tell you all how grateful I am for you taking the time to post.

Drayton - thank you. That's really informative and reassuring. She has said to me "I just love plain film radiography", so although obviously she may grow and change her interests, it seems that's where her initial interest lies.

Totally hear you re working hours and the toll that takes. sad

bigbluebus Fri 30-Sep-16 19:37:36

One of my neighbours worked as a radiographer for all of her working life. She is now nearly 80 with no obvious health problems and I'm pretty sure that things will be a lot safer and more closely monitored now than they were in her early career.

Sasstastic Tue 04-Oct-16 12:08:42

Thanks bigbluebus. You're right, I'm sure practise must have changed a lot to the benefit of the radiographer and patient since she trained in terms of safety. 👍🏻

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now