Advanced search

claiming Child Benefit for child at uni

(17 Posts)
Betty1000 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:31:10

Hi all
I have just completed the reverse of my Child Benefit form as my son has just started attending uni and it seems I can continue to receive Child Benefit. Anyone know if this is correct.

user1470043860 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:36:36

What gives you the impression that you can?

titchy Mon 26-Sep-16 14:38:04

Don't be daft of course you can't.

roundandroundthehouses Mon 26-Sep-16 14:39:16

I really don't think that can be right. My understanding is: Child Benefit stops when they're 16, unless they stay in education, where it can last up until they turn 20. BUT... it has to be within a range of approved courses, and a university degree isn't one of those as it's deemed to be 'advanced'. Link here

Frazzled2207 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:39:31

It stops when kid turns 18 I thought.

Cherylene Mon 26-Sep-16 14:39:51

I expect if he is a child prodigy who has started uni early and is living at home, then you can?

Frazzled2207 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:40:18

Oh right ignore me. 16 then.

dementedpixie Mon 26-Sep-16 14:42:02

I thought it stopped if they were going to do a Uni course - suggests uni courses aren't approved courses that you can still get child benefit for

catslife Mon 26-Sep-16 15:21:40

I think it's older than 18, but only if they are doing a level 3 (A level or vocational equivalent) course NOT an advanced course such as degree.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 26-Sep-16 15:26:21

Yes, I think up to around 19 but doing a school/FE college type course rather than university.

Bit shit if you're forking out more than when they were at home, but there it is. They're not children.

GasLightShining Wed 28-Sep-16 00:00:49

Mine has stopped for DS who has gone off to uni

AndNowItsSeven Wed 28-Sep-16 00:02:32

If you have an 18 or 19 or 20 year old ( started course age 19) at uni doing a foundation course then yes, otherwise no.

Wavingchinesecat Wed 28-Sep-16 14:45:15

You are wrong OP - mine stopped when both DC's went to Uni - last payments were at the beginning of the September but only part ones.

Katymac Wed 28-Sep-16 14:48:13

It's to do with the level of the course; DD's stopped when she was 17 because the course she started was a level 6

BestIsWest Wed 28-Sep-16 20:42:08

You can claim up until the age of 20 but only if they are in approved education NOT at an advanced level (i.e. not at university) and not in training paid for by an employer.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 28-Sep-16 20:50:21

You can study non advanced courses at uni.

BestIsWest Thu 29-Sep-16 05:57:50

Yes, I know but generally we are talking up degree or Hnd etc. It's easy to google honestly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now