Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know anything about the STEP Maths test?

(7 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Sat 10-Sep-16 18:00:29

DS just started 2nd year A-Levels. Wants to read Maths at Uni in 2017 & some of the places he is going for require the STEP Maths test.

DH has looked it up and thinks it is too late for him to do it now. I.E. he has missed the exam. But I think surely not, the dates he was looking at (June 2016) must have been for people about to enter Uni now, this Autumn.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks

(also posted in Further Education as I'm not sure of the difference )

boys3 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:24:56

www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/about-step/

Not many actually require it though. A must for Cambridge, but very few others beyond that (Warwick I think want it). Pretty sure not sat until main A2 exam period

boys3 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:26:08

so yes he'd sit it in June 2017 if he is in yr13 now (pressed post too soon)

GrumpyOldBag Sat 10-Sep-16 18:34:55

Thank you boys

haybott Sat 10-Sep-16 18:42:25

A must for Cambridge, but very few others beyond that (Warwick I think want it).

Cambridge require it for almost all offers. Warwick give alternative offers, all but one of which involve STEP.

Imperial usually require STEP or MAT (which is taken in the Autumn) in their offers.

UCL want STEP or higher grades.

Other universities like Bath, Southampton etc offer lower grades if you get at least a 2 in STEP.

Squirrills Sat 10-Sep-16 19:18:26

The STEP exams are in the June of year 13, usually sat after A levels have finished and results come out the same day as A level results.
There are three exams STEP I, STEP II and STEP III and the student has to apply to be entered by the school or college. There is a fee which some schools cover and others do not.
I think possibly only Cambridge require the second two papers and usually a grade 1.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 10-Sep-16 19:41:33

Thanks everyone for clarifying -I thought DH had misunderstood and you have confirmed that he had. The STEP website isn't at all clear.

DS is looking at Imperial & Warwick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now