We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to not yet have a reading list? (masters)

(7 Posts)
TormundGiantsbabe Fri 02-Sep-16 19:49:48

I have previously studied with the OU where the reading lists are available before you even register for the course. This is my first experience with a brick uni and there are no reading lists for my modules. Is this normal practice? I was hoping to get the books I need a little in advance.

OutDamnedWind Fri 02-Sep-16 19:52:16

Reading lists are becoming less and less of a thing IME - many like to talk and guide you through, or use online resources etc. Generally depends on the course.

Becca19962014 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:26:12

My course descriptions were on the uni website and those were straight from the course manual so included necessary books. You could try searching their website to see if there's anything there. I was glad I didn't leave it as there was a lot of work to do.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 03-Sep-16 13:00:57

Yes, I think it's normal. I'm currently writing the reading list for my MPhil students - they won't get it for a few days.

You could always email and ask, though?

impostersyndrome Sat 03-Sep-16 16:46:47

Yes normal, but try:

Emailing to ask for one (though staff may be away at conferences or holiday);
Try the university's library website, which mat have lists online;
Read some of the core staff's available publications as these are likely to be assigned .

calilark Sat 03-Sep-16 16:50:33

Email the course tutor. This is likely listed on the course website. I am an HE librarian - lists aren't distributed to students in advance of the course, but as part of the handbook at the first lecture

TormundGiantsbabe Mon 05-Sep-16 08:55:18

Thank you, I'll email today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now