Media Lecturers

(6 Posts)
Doowrah Mon 29-Aug-16 17:57:47

Hi there..is there any point in me applying for a media lecturer job given that I have all the qualifications but no recent industry experience apart from the media teaching included in my 8 year role as a primary teacher?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 29-Aug-16 18:01:47

I wouldn't have thought so but it would depend on the institution you'd be applying to

YawningKasm Mon 29-Aug-16 18:27:47

I'm assuming this is a lecturer job at a university not an FE college?

How do your qualifications stack up against the job spec and person spec? If it's a good university, they'll be using those to create the short list & they'll assess candidates at interview against those specifications. Most lectureships require a PhD but it may be different for a vocatonal course.

Do you have any research interests or evidence of advanced research in the area advertised? Do you have a postgrad qualification? Have you kept up with some freelance work? What's your experience of teaching adults?

8 years out of the industry, and in such a different sector, may not be something you can overcome straight away. You may need to establish a track record of recent work in the field. Could you teach an evening class for your local WEA or FE college (a bit like City Lit)?

Doowrah Mon 29-Aug-16 18:53:48

It is an FE college post, I have a PGCE and taught adults EFL and Business English and trained teachers for 8 years before primary teaching. No I haven't got any research interests. Thanks for your advice it doesn't look good, does it.

YawningKasm Mon 29-Aug-16 20:42:48

but it might be fine for FE - what are the qualifications etc asked for in the job specification/person spec? The only thing which might be problematic is 8 years primary teaching, but I;m sure you could show how that has deepened your pedagogical skills & expertise.

Doowrah Mon 29-Aug-16 22:08:42

I have everything they are asking for on the person spec apart from the recent industry experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now