Talk

Advanced search

Sept 16 uni starters essentials list!!

(56 Posts)
hennipenni Fri 19-Aug-16 12:34:19

It's just occurred to me that DD will be moving into her accommodation around sept the 10th (gulp-not long at all) and we're no where near ready with the essentials and the not so essentials!!

So far we've thought about a door stop, tin of biscuits/sweets, extension leads and some fancy dress (don't think DD is up for that one though!)

What else will your DC's be taking?

BeJayKayven Fri 19-Aug-16 12:35:59

I'm interested in this too.
We were advised to take a mattress topper as well.

marbeth Fri 19-Aug-16 12:38:49

We will have to start thinking what to take. Any ideas welcome.

Ohtobeskiing Fri 19-Aug-16 12:49:16

Before you start buying mattress toppers you need to check what size bed. Ds had a 'small double' which was really a 1.5 sized single and not a particularly easy size to get fitted sheets etc for.

GinandJag Fri 19-Aug-16 12:54:04

Bedding (yes, check bed size).
Dishes
Pots and pans
Cutlery
Food storage containers
Towels, incl dish towel

HarrietVane99 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:04:20

I expect someone will dig out last year's thread soon.

Basic first aid kit - painkillers, elastoplast, antiseptic cream, etc.
Basic sewing kit. Someone recently showed me a very nice one from a pound shop.
Paper towels for mopping up spills.
A wind up, non battery powered torch.
Spares of anything essential such as glasses.

hippospot Fri 19-Aug-16 13:07:13

As well as stuff, skills such as:

cooking
laundry
shopping
budgeting
sewing on a button/fixing a hole

I recently learned that my friend didn't teach her sons to cook "because they're boys" and to me this was a massive disservice to them.

Coconutty Fri 19-Aug-16 13:08:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarrietVane99 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:19:38

As well as stuff, skills such as

...shopping

Oh yes. I live in an area with a lot of students. I always know when it's that time of year because I see them wandering vaguely round our small local Co-op in groups of three gazing into the chiller cabinet as if they've never seen a pint of milk before.

(It's quite entertaining to see and it doesn't last long, but it is only a small shop so it does get in the way of those of us who want to be in and out quickly.)

BaconAndAvocado Fri 19-Aug-16 13:27:52

Great, I'm really interested in this thread.

I feel incredibly ashamed that I've never shown DS1 how to use a washing machine.......it's going to be a loooong list grin

Millipedewithherfeetup Fri 19-Aug-16 13:33:58

Pot of change for washing machines ! Would also recommend buying lots of thin/cheap towels, makes washing and drying easier/cheaper !

BeJayKayven Fri 19-Aug-16 13:35:04

Yes Coconutty Agree.

eyebrowsonfleek Fri 19-Aug-16 13:43:29

Mugs and teaspoons. My ds goes through loads!

ButtercreamIcing Fri 19-Aug-16 13:49:11

Don't take too much! Rooms are small and it can be a good bonding trip for you all to pop to Asda together for missed bits.

Padlock if the kitchen cupboards lock and it's not provided.

Ear plugs (silicone are generally best).

A good student cookbook (I love Vegetarian Nosh 4 Students and there's a non-veggie one too).

Cards/photos of friends/posters to make it homely.

Tea bags and favourite mug (maybe shop for a special mug together to remind them of home?).

Take her for a first food shop if you can. You can buy her the only roll of kitchen roll she will have for the entire year grin

hennipenni Fri 19-Aug-16 14:03:06

Oh my, so much to get and do, so little time!

sassymuffin Fri 19-Aug-16 14:14:35

Colour catchers, DD managed not to ruin her clothes by using these. She even uses them when doing a whites wash as the communal machines wash a lot of dark coloured jeans and sometimes have residual dye in them.

Lilaclily Fri 19-Aug-16 14:16:20

I agree that its a good bonding experience to go shopping
Most locals in my uni town avoid wilkos and pound land on freshers weekend !

Lilaclily Fri 19-Aug-16 14:17:17

Earplugs and padlocks definitely not ! Lol not In my day anyway

GypsyFl0ss Fri 19-Aug-16 14:37:54

this is the list linked to last year from the student room which we found useful.

Banana99 Fri 19-Aug-16 14:43:14

Washing powder and a bag you can carry/store the washing in.

A medical kit of pain killers and especially cold medicines - everyone gets colds in the first term

A good dressing gown and something you can carry stuff to the showers in.

No mattress toppers in my day, beds covered in thick plastic - horrid!

We took dd1 for a 'big' shop when she moved in. Got things like olive oil, dried herbs etc that would last for ages, as well as cereal, pasta, bread etc and some fresh and frozen bits.

Yes to a big bag for lugging stuff to the launderette - DMs do big cloth bags that would work well.

Fairy lights

Adapter plug/s/extension lead

Tin opener!

Yes to dressing gown
Hot water bottle
Vitamin C and iron tablets
Funky cushion

Secretsquirrils Fri 19-Aug-16 14:55:16

Don't take so much!

There have been so many similar threads lately as well as previous years.
I won't repeat lists of stuff to take but I will mention some things that I packed following advice on similar threads that were not used
Passport photos - all digital
Padlocks - came back unopened
Washing up bowl
Spare bedding - DS changed his bed once a term washed, dried at put back on. Never used the second set.
Over door hooks

or things we didn't take that were needed;
Small tool kit (swiss knife type) Not a screw driver to be found when DS needed one to fix something.
A clip on lamp as well as a desk lamp.
Double or KS duvet - we knew he had a single bed which is bad enough for a 6'3" adult but a single duvet wasn't long enough and he was much cosier with a double.

There is precious little room and what you might think of as essential your DC may not. Mattress toppers? They are not sleeping on the floor grin

HarrietVane99 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:16:16

Fairy lights

Check if they're allowed. Same for other electrical kit. Some places are quite strict about what appliances students can plug in in their rooms, due to risk of overloading the system and fire.

And on that note, personal insurance, to cover loss, damage or theft of possessions on campus, in digs or in transit.

BeJayKayven Fri 19-Aug-16 15:21:19

squirrels you may grin all you want hmm - we've seen the single bed and lumpy slightly stained mattress. A topper was required.

Some good advice on here, obviously everyone is just doing their best for their own DC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now