We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just to remind you and the DC that plan B ( or C D or E) could be perfect !

(7 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Fri 19-Aug-16 09:04:57

Reading some of the A level results.

So happy for those who got 1st choices.

But IMHO plan B might just be the right thing after all so don't get disheartened if you are on it or even a reserve , reserve plan or place.

Maybe it's just my slightly rubbish family ( tongue in cheek icon )

I very much dropped grades on my offer but was accepted by 2nd choice ( as the 1st person from my seedy comp to do that course I don't think they actually expected me to get the grades really !). I would have never met DH if he had cocked up his accommodation application either !

32yrs on we have dd1 who " failed Oxbridge application " but excelled at her redbrick uni and has completed 1st year PhD , and ds who got no offers for medicine but is having a fab time on an alternative course.

Of dd and ds friends very few indeed are on the straight path they planed at 18. None are disasters. One or two have been strangely overly successful ( eg end up re sitting but also get sponsorship to do a year of 3 day eventing - which is your 1st love anyway !)

Thehoardernextdoor Fri 19-Aug-16 21:04:07

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm so glad I found you. DS3 needed 2xA* and an A to get to Oxford. He got a B for his 3rd subject and they have turned him down. To make matters worse, his best friend had the same offer, got the same grades and has been accepted (different Oxford college). Even even worse, his insurance offer also turned him down. He finished up having to go through clearing late yesterday (once he'd heard it was a definite no) and has finished up with a place at a good university but one which is not even in the top 20 for his subject. I am devastated, although he seems to be coping quite well. They're still brilliant grades and normally we would be celebrating madly but everything's a bit flat. I'm sure it will all be fine but it's lovely to hear from someone who's been there.

hellsbells99 Sat 20-Aug-16 02:21:25

Good post Helen.
Thehoarder - things will work out well for your DS. I hope he is still celebrating his excellent results.
My DD got into her first choice uni last year and ended up hating her course and leaving halfway through. She will be starting again this year on a different course at a university closer to home that is lower down the rankings .....but she is now very happy.

Helenluvsrob Sat 20-Aug-16 10:26:00

Thanks both.

The hoarder- I hope he'll be very happy wherever he goes. I'm actually happy that dd2 isn't applying for Oxbridge. I think you have to be a feet special sort of toughie to cope there. Our high fliers are used to competition but from what I've heard from various mates of the kids it can be a very unhappy place to be - we know a drop out with an eating disorder and another with depression for instance.

He needs to get his first, win a few prizes along the way and wave 2 fingers at them - which is what eldest is now doing as she presents papers at conferences etc !

Hells much hugs to your dd. I think the role of happiness is huge. That and being brave enough to say that it's not working out

Thehoardernextdoor Sat 20-Aug-16 19:06:25

Thank you both-all your children sound great. That was just what I was hoping to hear.
The most important thing is that he is happy. Hells, it was very brave of your daughter not to struggle on, glad it worked out for her. I will emphasise that to DS, he's finished up with a fairly random choice out of panic really, didn't want to defer and reapply for anywhere next year but if he's not happy I will encourage him to do just that. And op, your daughter sounds awesome!
Thanks -you've both cheered me up no end

3littlefrogs Sat 20-Aug-16 19:09:30

I couldn't agree more OP.
Sometimes you end up where you were meant to be.
Sometimes a disaster is really an opportunity.

thesandwich Sat 20-Aug-16 21:08:09

Just to add- dd missed her offers last year so took an unplanned gap year and has got so much from it. Did resits and did amazingly well- off to her first choice with considerably more confidence- and far healthier in body and mind. She also has done so many different things this year. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now