This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Missed form choice but 600 UCAS points(56 Posts)
DD missed out on her first choice uni by a fraction so we are going to get the paper reviewed.
In the meantime, she did astoundingly well in other subjects, scoring 100% in one subject, 95% in another and also an A* for General.
She's over exceeded her insurance offer by miles. She was so stunned this .owning that she didn't know which way to turn for adjustment places.
Should she withdraw her application and reapply next year for different RG unis? Or go with a friendly non RG uni where she'll (hopefully/probably) get a first?
The Astar in general studies won't count at any RG I'm afraid. The total points also won't matter. What will count are the subjects and grades - which were what? And what's her offer?
I doubt there'll be anything left in adjustment now tbh.
Oh and there is no correlation between a level grade and degree classification btw - she'd need to work hard for a 1st regardless!
She should let her first choice uni know she's having a priority remark and ask them to hold her offer open until that's been done or ask them if they'll accept her even though she's missed her offer - what does Track say for this university/offer?
In the meantime she could look at other universities with her course in clearing and decide if she likes one of those, and speak to them to find out if they would accept her onto the course.
Taking a year out is of course an option, but does she want to? How good is her insurance choice for the subject she wishes to study?
Has she called her first choice university and spoken to them. That's a good first step.
Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.
She called, got put in the queue, then bottled it. Her UCAS tracker was a firm rejection from her first choice.
First choice is similar to LSE. Don't want to say exactly what it is for fear of jeopardising anything.
Second choice is non RG. She went from Top Tier down to Third. She categorically rejected places like Durham and Kings. She won't consider Exeter or Cardiff.
She wouldn't phone clearing. She panicked and her brain shut down which makes me wonder whether she's sharp-elbowed enough to cope with a top tier university in the first place, if she crumbles like this under pressure.
I've told her to phone the first choice uni and say will they take her on a different course (the subject she scored 100% in), if not, will they consider her for 2017?
Insurance choice is a lovely uni. But she can do so much better and I worry that she will regret her crippling lack of confidence in 10 years time. Will she look back and regret going to her insurance place? She said no, but she's still hoping that her remark will bump her up another grade, which makes me think that she doesn't actually want to go to her insurance place either.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
Oh. She should have phoned first choice and said she was going for a priority remark and they'd have held the offer open....
A year out confidence building is no bad thing.
Sorry to hear she just missed out on her first choice. Were her school/college not on hand to help with adjustment today? Seems an awful shame she potentially lost out due to lack of knowledgable support.
600 points from 3 A'levels (not including General), sorry but I don't understand.
I think she might have included General in that - she had 540 and then 60 to add on with Grade 8 music exams. So somewhere like a Met uni might consider General Studies, but LSE wouldn't.
School seemed happy to let her take her insurance choice. And another said that she would still need AAA to get to a top uni.
She's missed the boat this year. But she can be very stubborn, ie she wouldn't let me read her personal statement, point blankly refused to consider other RG unis to the ones she applied to.
Horse to water, and all that.
She might learn having made a number of mistakes this year. Some schools really don't care that much. If her A levels are not AAA but just below, is there nothing in clearing? My DD never had less than RG on her UCAS. She knew she could do better than non RG.
Most top level universities don't work in points though they just work on a level grades. Has she looked in clearing for similar courses?
If she knows what she wants and is determined to get it, then she should probably take a year out, get a job, do resits, and apply for only where she really wants. It sounds like she could do with the confidence boost that a job would give her.
Same thing happened to DS's friend, and that's what he did, very happy now, never looked back. He did far too well to 'settle' for his insurance, like your DD,
She can get on to a couple of other courses for next year if she's missed the boat this year.
If she's confirmed her insurance place, can she withdraw by Monday without being liable for tuition fees?
Yes she can. But, and big but, many RG will not accept just one resit for certain degrees, will ask for whole lot to be resat. It's worth checking this out first before withdrawing insurance place.
Yes she can withdraw on Monday no problem and no fee liability.
PP - she isn't planning on resitting, just getting a paper checked and possibly remarked...
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
I know!!!!! But she won't go. Yesterday I was telling her about kids who got into Durham and Warwick on less. She's fixated on a certain type of course.
I can get her into --LSE- on two different courses which are sort of related to what she originally wanted to do but she won't consider it, saying she doesn't want to go there enough to do "some random course on an impulse."
I want to shake her
cut her off without a penny
I think she needs a year out and to get a job. Then reapply next year
She sounds like she is very lacking in confidence and is either in some kind of mental fug or doesn't have the maturity and clarity of thought to carefully consider what she wants to do. This cannot be a reactive decision which seems to be partly based on disagreeing with anything you say coupled with paralysis on her behalf (phone example). It's not a good combination.
How can YOU get her into courses at LSE? What's your influence?
Thank you to GTWcat
I'm thinking that. She can learn to drive, do a gap year programme, work in the hotel across the road.
Trouble is, Granny has told her to go to RH as it's in a "safe" part of London & boyfriend/boyfriend's mum are super excited as boyfriend is going to a college 20 mins away.
Fading, well, I can't, obviously. But I've found two courses in the website that need AAB and she's already got better than that.
But she needs to apply.
How frustrating. Those are great results. Is there anyone else she can talk to - maybe a knowledgable teacher from school?
She's not missed the boat on adjustment but depending on course A*AB may not be enough. Is her school open today - I am heading in now to continue helping our students. I will sit with them while the phone and help whittle down options. Call the Head of Sixth and get some help asap. If she wants a gap year then that is also a good option of course