Talk

Advanced search

Please help me advise DS about post 16 choices.

(10 Posts)
LizzieVereker Thu 18-Aug-16 12:51:27

Poor old DS has bombed his AS levels sad

I say "poor old" because he had a very disrupted year, I have been critically ill and various other issues. His school aren't willing to have him back, (only due to his grades, he's very well behaved), but to be honest his heart isn't really in academic study. He thinks he'd prefer to do an apprenticeship rather than retake A Levels or do a BTEC at college.He was very distressed when he first got the results, but is now taking it on the chin and is keen to find another route.

I just wondered if any of you had any helpful advice about finding an apprenticeship suitable for a 17 year old? DS and I would really appreciate any help. We're in South London.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 18-Aug-16 13:25:02

https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/VisitorLanding.aspx

There's that^

It is also worth identifying a college or two and looking at their own (local) listings.

What industry or skill does he fancy?

Just5minswithDacre Thu 18-Aug-16 13:26:16

Sorry. This link is more direct;

[[https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch]{

LizzieVereker Thu 18-Aug-16 14:37:52

Thank you flowers,

We're using the horrible grades as an opportunity to really think about what he wants to do, rather than what he should do, so he's really open to new ideas. He's best at maths/ business so something along those lines? Fortunately he's taken it fairly positively and is open to suggestions.

We're going into school tomorrow to discuss possible options for him, but I don't think there's any flexibility about him returning there. He's only been there a year, his GCSE school didn't have a sixth form , so his current school don't know him well enough to take a punt on him, I feel.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 18-Aug-16 14:44:21

There's a college down past the Norwoods that is reputedly very strong on 14-19 curriculum and is less 'FE college' than most. I'm wracking my brains to think exactly where it is or what it's called.

Of course, that depends where you are too.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 18-Aug-16 14:48:49

Found it! smile

www.johnruskin.ac.uk/

Might be worth a look for both courses and apprenticeships, if it's a doable distance.

LizzieVereker Thu 18-Aug-16 14:54:44

Oh thank you, we do really appreciate your help. We'll have a look at that.

AlbusPercival Thu 18-Aug-16 14:58:46

something like this ? www.unilever.co.uk/careers/apprenticeships/business-and-technology-apprenticeships.html

BellaVida Thu 18-Aug-16 15:03:51

If he likes maths & business, he might like to have a look at accountancy apprenticeships. Some take from 16+.

LizzieVereker Thu 18-Aug-16 15:38:28

Thank you Albus and Bella, they both look like excellent suggestions. We're really grateful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now