Talk

Advanced search

Term In Strasbourg

(13 Posts)
jackie1966 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:01:36

My daughter is doing a term in Strasbourg Uni this September we can't get any info back from the halls of residence does anyone have any ideas/links/knowledge of accommodation options for 3 months?

bojorojo Wed 17-Aug-16 20:18:13

Was she not given the info when the placement was confirmed? My DD went to Switzerland and they gave her options and a deadline to apply. It was April I recall. What was the deal at Strasbourg for overseas students? Other universities may not guarantee a room at all. What do Strasbourg say on their web site? Did she apply for a room or not? I don't think you can roll up and get a room. She may have to go early and look for a room in a private flat. DD did this in Italy.

bojorojo Wed 17-Aug-16 20:22:39

Uni of Strasbourg says you must apply for a room when you apply for the exchange. Did she do this? It says rooms are limited in number.

jackie1966 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:28:29

yes she has but not heard anything back - she's being all cool about it but I'm not!!

bojorojo Wed 17-Aug-16 21:31:45

Do you have an email address for the accommodation office there? Did she get an acknowledgment of the accommodation request? Did they give any idea of when accommodation would be allocated? I would be a bit concerned too because this seems rather late to not know about accommodation. There is a web site called Third Year Abroad. You could see if there in anyone on that who has experience of Strasbourg.

bojorojo Wed 17-Aug-16 21:36:14

The service for a immigration is called Crous (I think!) and she should have heard in July. If you look at accommodation for Erasmus students there are details of the service and contact details. I would contact them tomorrow .

bojorojo Wed 17-Aug-16 21:36:36

For accommodation !!!!

Archfarchnad Thu 18-Aug-16 21:17:12

Erm, this really is a little late for accommodation. DD1 is just about to start a full-time programme in France (ie not an exchange) and it was only when she got the place in late June that we tried to get accommodation, and found out then that we should have applied for halls even before making the application, on 1 Jan this year. By late June we were told all the places were gone and DD should try to find a private rented flat - fortunately her uni has a Facebook page where students can get together in groups to apply, and there's also a page where landlords can advertise their flats for rent. Because she's in a tourist area the landlords rent their holiday flats to students for 10 months from September to June, then weekly to tourists for July and August. Shortly after she'd found fellow students to share with and paid her private deposit, the Logement office phoned to say she'd been given a place in halls after all (it was just after the Nice attack - I wonder whether someone had dropped out for that reason). But otherwise there's no way she'd have been offered something from the uni.
So at this point I think you'd be really lucky for her to get offered something. And our experience of French uni bureaucracy was that they were pretty , erm, laid back and expected parents and students to do much of the chasing.
Definitely contact Crous tomorrow and see what the Logement office says. If there's nothing left in halls, ask if they have a list of students who want to share and flats on offer.

bojorojo Thu 18-Aug-16 21:39:11

If the OP's DD applied at the correct time she should have heard something. It is not as if she did not apply. At DDs university they were told the only efficient universities were in Switzerland and Germany. As DD was doing French she applied for Switzerland which did , as you might expect, live up to expectations! I think Strasbourg could be pricey as it is a EU city. It has lots of business visitors. any news op?

Archfarchnad Fri 19-Aug-16 19:12:56

Well yes, she should have heard somehing but hasn't, so something's gone wrong somewhere along the line. My concern would be that it's too late to correct a mistake made by the logement office because all rooms have now been allocated,

Loving the idea that universities in Germany are supposed to be efficient grin

bojorojo Sat 20-Aug-16 15:48:12

As DD didn't apply to a German one, that advice/theory was never tested but I suppose the Erasmus office spoke as they found!

Moominmammacat Tue 23-Aug-16 10:12:16

My ds started an Erasmus year in Munich last Tuesday. He organised his accommodation through a friend of someone in his workplace on the Saturday before he left. There are hostels and you can find something when you arrive.

bojorojo Wed 24-Aug-16 22:15:00

Generally speaking, university accommodation is cheaper. I have heard French university accommodation is not so great. Op - have you heard anything ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now