Request to defer now or on results day?

(7 Posts)
poppledopple Tue 09-Aug-16 15:39:05

DS had v serious accident a few months ago and has just undergone major surgery - he sat his A level exams in pain and on heavy meds - so worried about results. Unis are aware and he has special consideration (1-3%) fromt he exam board. Recovery/rehab is slow and finally accepting he needs to defer. Should we approach the uni's now pre results or wait until results day see if they offer a place (if grades are down) and then ask to defer?

Worried if we ask to defer now and results are not great they will reject on results day. Or will there not be any difference?

I know both courses are in clearing already.

OP’s posts: |
GingaNinja Tue 09-Aug-16 15:51:44

I used to work in admissions for a Russell Group uni (admittedly 10+ years ago) as well as other colleges. Unless things have radically changed, particularly IF the course is def going to be in Clearing and IF your DS has anywhere near the grades of his offer, they'll more than likely confirm his place, particularly if they're aware of extenuating circs. As for deferring - if his place is confirmed simply tick the relevant box on the UCAS reply slip/web page that he wishes to defer the place. We got this from a lot of students, it's by no means unusual and colleges/unis expect it.

Wishing your DS a speedy recovery and good luck with his results.

Leeds2 Tue 09-Aug-16 15:57:12

In case it is of interest, my DD, about a fortnight ago, asked both her firm and insurance choices if she could defer. Firm were fine with it, but insurance rejected her request as they said they had already filled their quota for deferred students in her subject. So I would ask now, as it is by no means guaranteed.

poppledopple Tue 09-Aug-16 16:36:42

I am worried that if his grades slipped badly to xyz for instance they might accept him for this year (2016) on these grades as they have vacancies right now but if he said ahead that he wanted to defer and then got same bad xyz on results day they would reject or ask him to resit.....I am trying to be tactical here....

Leeds - he would have unequivocal medical support to defer which I would hope that the unis would honour.....but I cant assume that so thanks for the update.

OP’s posts: |
Leeds2 Tue 09-Aug-16 17:14:51

I would hope they would be as accommodating as they could in your son's circumstances. Good Luck to him!

FoggyBottom Tue 09-Aug-16 22:16:11

In all the Departments where I worked - and done August admissions - if someone doesn't make our offer we may - depending on all sorts of things, relax the offer if we liked the candidate enough when we interviewed them, and the grades aren't horribly lower than our usual offer (which is AAA-AAB). But we interview over 2 days ...

But if that person wants to defer we usually say, please apply again next year. We know we can get "better" the following year without having to fill places with applicants who didn't quite make their offers.

But we're a "selecting" department in MN lingo. It depends on your DS department of choice.

I'd wait until Results day TBH. You'l be operating on knowledge rather than uncertainty & speculation.

poppledopple Tue 09-Aug-16 22:32:11

Thanks foggy -- that re affirms my hunch .... will wait (patiently?) until results.....

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in