Talk

Advanced search

Missed A'level predictions

(13 Posts)
bevelino Thu 04-Aug-16 20:50:43

According to the Times today at least half of all students miss their offers, but that it doesn't make that much difference to the number of students admitted. That is good to hear as dd is worried.

goodbyestranger Thu 04-Aug-16 20:55:14

Very much depends on which uni she's applied to bevelino, and a few other factors.

goodbyestranger Thu 04-Aug-16 20:56:54

But hopefully it's just the usual pre-results nerves!

Coffeewith1sugar Thu 04-Aug-16 21:26:19

It really depends on the course and how competitive it is. If they have spaces from kids missing their grades then they would be more flexible to take them in. My dd missed her firm uni by 2 marks and they still rejected her. Her course was at a good uni very oversubscribed with quality applicants. She went to insurance and loves it there, so luckily it worked out fine. Yet I know of kids getting in 2 grades lower getting in their firm uni. So you never know.. It's a especially nervous wait if they aren't confident like my dd was, with how they did in their exams. Very best of luck smile

goodbyestranger Thu 04-Aug-16 21:40:25

Coffee I think it's also fair to add that the landscape has changed in the past few years, although I still wouldn't necessarily feel confident about either Cambridge or Durham being ok with missed grades.

bevelino Thu 04-Aug-16 21:45:59

I don't think dd will be accepted if she misses her grades at first choice uni, but she is happy to go to insurance. Our fingers are crossed.

Coffeewith1sugar Fri 05-Aug-16 00:40:20

With DD's firm choice uni the offer was A*AA They said they gave preference to AAA than A*AB (which was what dd got) thats if they were taking near miss applicants. They just don't like B grades I guess. She went for a remark on the B grade and on the A one as she was 1 mark off a star. But they both came back the same. But later on we found out school had made a balls up and gone for clerical check than a remark. By that time it was discovered it was too late anyways. All is forgiven now, accepted and moved on

haybott Fri 05-Aug-16 09:10:00

They just don't like B grades I guess.

For some courses, students with B grades are considerably more likely to do poorly than those with points equivalent A levels but no B grades.

Coffeewith1sugar Fri 05-Aug-16 10:19:46

haybott DD thought that might be the case. Which is fair play, even though she was only 2 marks off the the A. It's still a B at the end of the day and those who had near miss of 3A may well have very high ones too. So yeah it would be far more suitable to take them on than dd on very academic course.

bojorojo Fri 05-Aug-16 13:58:17

Loads of students get onto MFL courses with B grades and get a 2:1. I know someone with a C in the target language who managed a 2:1. Some students with A grades really struggled with essay writing. It seems a B in essay subjects was better preparation than an A in some non-essay subjects. There are always variations I guess.

Poppledopple Sun 07-Aug-16 13:22:09

Times is also reporting that post Brexit many EU and international students may not take up their places - so they will have to fill these spaces with home grown talent. Clearing places already advertised for many courses --- ahead of UK Alevel results ...is this because EU and Int students already have their results (eg IB) and have already turned down a UK place?

fizzyyes Sun 07-Aug-16 17:25:12

DS got his first choice last year; RG, competitive course with AAD with an offer of AAA.
I may have made him phone UCAS to check it wasn't a mistake
Fingers crossed for your DC, it's a very stressful time.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 07-Aug-16 22:32:44

Popple Clearing starts when IB results come out which I believe was 5th or 6th July this year and then updates again after Scottish Higher results (can't remember when but they're before A Levels) and again after A Levels; the universities receive the results next Sunday, so three days to sort out the latest round of Clearing before the candidates see their own grades and whether the universities have accepted them.

Make sure your children have the university's phone number(s) on hand as well as their UCAS reference number and a copy of their personal statement and be ready to ring and explain persuasively why they absolutely must take you! The schools will advise about all of this on the day, if not before. Good luck to all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now