Waiting for a uni to update UCAS track. Is this timescale normal?

(10 Posts)
blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Jul-16 14:02:01

DD got her exam results a week ago and just narrowly missed out on her first choice uni. This was fine as it was a bit of a gamble and her insurance option is pretty great.

Nothing from the first choice has been updated on Track. Her insurance has sent a message through Track to say that she definitely has a place there if she has not got into her first choice. She has called her first choice and they can tell her nothing.

We have now been to visit her insurance and looked at halls etc and DD is now emotionally committed to this as her place of study but can't accept until her first choice rejects her.

Is this usual? Does she likely to have to wait until A levels come out before anything happens? It feels like we are in limbo now.

OP’s posts: |
Stopyourhavering Mon 11-Jul-16 18:46:17

If she hasn't quite made the grades she may well have to wait for A level results.....is there a lot of difference between the 2 courses/Uni?....how does she feel going for the insurance offer.....at least you will know she has a place and have halls sorted out- may be more difficult if she has to wait for results day

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 11-Jul-16 18:49:41

She'll need to wait until results day. The first choice unit will then decide whether they want to offer her a place (depending on how many hit their offers) or not. Was she borderline? Not being immediately rejected should offer some hope.

NatalieRushman Mon 11-Jul-16 18:52:09

It may take some time. Some students I know who didn't make their grades phoned up their unis in the few weeks following, and argued their way into uni following the first batch of rejected offers. They may be waiting for the students who've met their grades to confirm/reject their place?

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Jul-16 18:55:14

She wants to be rejected now! She wants to move on and get sorted with halls at her insurance. She is more than happy to be going there.

OP’s posts: |
esornep Mon 11-Jul-16 19:10:07

She should call her first choice and ask to be released from their conditional offer so that she can accept her insurance. I'm not sure whether they are obliged to release her but in practice they will be no problem in doing so, as there is no point trying to keep a student who wants to go elsewhere.

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Jul-16 19:24:31

We have had a proper look on the website of her first choice and we have found a form she can submit to release her. This appears to be possible because she didn't meet the conditions of their offer. She is filling it in to submit it now. Hopefully they will process it quickly and allow her to accept her insurance. Happy DD!

OP’s posts: |


Stopyourhavering Mon 11-Jul-16 19:44:40

I remember not making the grades to get into my first choice Uni and went with my insurance choice
..... Best thing I ever did....it was a bit further away from home so I became independent much quicker and had to make new friends rather than relying on friends I knew from school going to same uni...more flexibility in course as well as it turned out ( actually hated the joint honours I'd originally chosen and ended up switching faculties and major!!)
I had a ball, ended up in great halls for 2 years and met my husband within first term!!....
Graduated 30 yrs ago this week and married 29 yrs and still in touch with uni friends.... Wish I could do it all again....

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Jul-16 19:58:37

Stopyourhavering. That is great story! I think DD feels a bit like this. We live in small uni town and her first choice uni is very similar to here. However she had been on an open day and could see herself there. It wasn’t really a stretch. Her insurance is a great uni in a bigger city but she had never been there - until this weekend when we decided to go see it. She absolutely loved the place and could see there is so much more to do and it is a much more exciting prospect. She is now very glad she didn’t make her first choice! I think she will really expand her horizons in this place. Exciting times.

OP’s posts: |
bojorojo Mon 11-Jul-16 22:31:18

I just posted on your earlier message. Did you get anywhere with accommodation OP?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in