Talk

Advanced search

Student Loans Company

(5 Posts)
AugustRose Mon 04-Jul-16 13:11:25

Is it normal for SLC to ask for a loan to be repaid after only one year? DS started one uni but due to some health issues returned home and after some discussion decided to change uni. He has a guaranteed place at the new uni in September and has successfully applied for his new finance.

However SLC have sent a bill asking for his NI number and bank details to start taking payment for the old loan even though he is still going to be a student for another 3 years. I thought they only started taking payments at the end of study and if he is earning over £21,000.

OP’s posts: |
Decorhate Mon 04-Jul-16 17:00:53

It sounds as if they have overlooked that he is continuing with his studies elsewhere. I'd give them a call to check.

Dickcheese Mon 04-Jul-16 17:05:10

But just to make sure, at what point in the year did she drop out? If it's before Christmas then I believe you're liable for the fees already paid. If it's after that, give them a ring and I'm sure you can get it sorted

Owlytellsmesecrets Mon 04-Jul-16 17:06:25

He will need to defer the loan!

AugustRose Mon 04-Jul-16 19:40:10

OK thanks, he'll have to give them a call to make sure they understand he is continuing elsewhere. He finished after Christmas so only received one lot of payments in October.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »