Talk

Advanced search

Dissertation help

(8 Posts)
user1467542806 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:06:09

Hi I need to come up with a dissertation topic and I'm really stumped. I want to base it on employment law, does anyone have any ideas on a more specific title please?

JamieVardysParty Sun 03-Jul-16 12:32:45

Are you able to give more details? Are you currently working or have access to an organisation that you could ask if they have certain problems they would want a solution to?

First things that come to mind are looking at employment law in relation to equality or diversity management. Another interesting and current issue could be related to EU employment law and the possible consequences of Brexit.

I'd recommend having a quick look over some Employment Law journals so you can see the sort of topics that are current.

user1467542806 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:40:20

No I'm not working at the moment so can't focus it on a workplace. I had considered something to do with whether laws will change now we've left the EU but it will be speculation and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing in a dissertation

JamieVardysParty Sun 03-Jul-16 20:27:45

No, I can understand you don't want to speculate. What I meant was more looking at the effect EU employment law has had in Britain.

I can imagine there will be a lot of literature on equality law and managing diversity, particularly the Equality Act.

Something surrounding maternity rights or flexible working for parents/carers?

It's a pretty broad topic!

senua Sun 03-Jul-16 21:54:05

DS wanted to do something very current for his dissertation but it didn't work because it was too new and he couldn't get hold of enough data to write about.

What about something around minimum wage (has been around since 1999 so lots of data) and living wage (new, so it looks like you are on the ball)? Compare to the old Wages Councils. Compare & contrast with overseas legislation. Discuss agency workers, part-time workers, piece rate. When are you on the clock and when not eg MiHomecare and Sports Direct.

thejoysofboys Sun 03-Jul-16 22:17:43

I'm no law expert but what about something around zero hours contracts and if/how they could be improved or developed into something less open to exploitation by either party.

user1467542806 Mon 04-Jul-16 09:33:14

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure I can come up with a topic from them. You've been a great help

Blondie1984 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:39:45

I wonder if you could do something on Sports Direct i.e. Where they breached certain laws etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now