Advice on where to go to find information please...

(3 Posts)
largerleon Mon 20-Jun-16 19:38:24

I've just applied to do an access course in September as a preliminary requisite for a degree course the following year. I'm 48 on Wednesday, with 4DC on my own in a rented house.
I'm terrified that I won't be able to feed/clothe/house my kids if I'm a full-time student. I'm planning on staying at work (NHS) for about 6 hours a week, maybe one day - I currently do 24 hours a week over 4 days.
How do I find out what benefits I could get and how to go about applying for them? I have been told I can get reduced council tax.
Is there a way of getting a ballpark figure to work with?

And when do I need to apply for anything? I haven't had a letter from the college yet, my interview isn't until July 21st.

The course content and workload doesn't worry me at all, it's the financial worry I could do without.
Thank you in anticipation of some guidance through this minefield. Sorry for so many questions.

OP’s posts: |
bojorojo Tue 21-Jun-16 10:21:09

Usually Universities/Colleges have details on student finance. I would go to the Finance Office and ask about finance for the Access course and they should also have information about benefits you can claim. You will not be the only one in this position.

Also Student Finance England is where you can find information about student finance you are entitled to but I believe this will be for the degree.

Normally where everyone in the house is a student, there is no Council Tax to pay. However, this may be reduced if there are people in the house who are not students so you need to check with your local council regarding their rules. Also, as you intened to work part time, you need to check how the Council view this and what housing benefits you may be entitled to. It is probably true to say that being a student is not going to be financially easy so you may need to consider very carefully if the finances add up and I do assume you will get a better job at the end of it.

I would also look at the timetable for course and see how many hours you are still able to work. I am sure other posters will have greater knowledge than I do.

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 21-Jun-16 11:40:06

I'm a student, and for council tax I just got a letter from my university confirming this - didn't have to say I wouldn't get a part-time job or anything. So if your children are all in education, you should be exempt from council tax as a household.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in