Talk

Advanced search

Will this work to become a TA?

(5 Posts)
JustBoppinAlong Sun 12-Jun-16 16:04:29

After I left school I did a Level 3 Diploma in Childcare Education.
I haven't actively used this qualification.

I also have:
Introduction to Health and Social Care
Introduction to Management

I also studied for 2 out of 3 years of the Counselling and Psychotherapy Degree. I stopped after my second year for personal reasons but also because I then realised after working as a counsellor, that it was not the job I wanted long term.

I have volunteered in a school over a period of a few weeks.

I am now looking to go back to volunteer in a primary school for 1 day a week.

Would all this be enough to then apply for Teaching Assistant jobs? I was looking at Level 3 TA evening courses, but after speaking to someone who did the same childcare course as me.. She gained a TA position just from that. Obviously within a few years of studying it which I am assuming makes a big difference?

I need to carry on working at least 4 days a week to be able to pay my bills. Which is why I want to volunteer for 1 day a week.

Can anyone help / advise please?

OP’s posts: |
EmmaWoodlouse Sun 12-Jun-16 18:53:30

I'm a TA and I have no specific TA-ing qualifications at all, though I have a degree in a completely unrelated subject. My way in was also through volunteering. I have a TA friend whose way in was having personal experience (a family member) of a condition that the child she was going to support had. I would say if you start volunteering you'll then be in a very good position to apply for TA jobs within the same school, but possibly also in other schools if yours will do a nice reference!

raspberryrippleicecream Fri 17-Jun-16 01:08:58

I did my level3 equivalent qualification a long time ago, worked in a different field, then volunteered when DC were at school. I'm now working as a TA in a different school. Way in for me was going on the bank list for local support services. Good luck.

bojorojo Fri 17-Jun-16 22:27:00

There are basic qualifications for being a TA. A friend has a degree in English, has volunteered in the school for years and is an Occupational Therapist but cannot be a TA as no Maths GCSE. You would think any school would be delighted to have a highly qualified person but not without the GCSE apparently.

hotdiggedy Fri 01-Jul-16 18:15:28

I dont think all TAs have to have maths GCSEs, some schools just ask for them. Bit silly considering bojorojo's friends other qualifications! I wonder how much you can earn as a TA if you have no qualifications.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »