Talk

Advanced search

End of final year - when do they know if they will graduate

(9 Posts)
Moanranger Fri 22-Apr-16 20:57:20

My DS is nearly finished, dissertation completed & only two other courses to finish up. His actual graduation ceremony isn't until late Oct, but when does he actually get confirmation that he has completed all of his degree requirements? He doesn't seem to know. ( He is the type to probably have been told all this, but to not take it in - music composition student, so far more focussed on that than such mundane matters as actually completing his degree.)
I plan to give him a nice little financial reward to allow him to travel, but need to be confident he actually graduated. Anyone with knowledge of this? His dissertation was presented last week and all his coursework completed by mid-May.

mumeeee Sat 23-Apr-16 11:03:29

Hi Moanranger DD3 is in her final weeks.
Her Dissertation is due to be handed in in late May. I think she said she will get the results in early June and resit/referral week is mid June. Her Graduation will be mid July don't know exact dates yet. She said they tell then the date in May.

Oldprof Sat 23-Apr-16 17:27:48

why can't he ask his department? no good querying it here: every univ is different.

Sunshowercap Sat 23-Apr-16 21:57:01

University Exam Boards are usually in the last or penultimate week of the Summer Term. He needs to know when that is.

We used to post results on the notice board but some students complained about this being public. So they get an email.

He should ask his department. And read his emails (students tell me they routinely ignore university emails).

Moanranger Sun 24-Apr-16 14:38:01

Thanks. I think I am going to have to incentivise him on this. Old See my original post re absorbed in his own world of music. Probably he has been told, & has forgotten , or "forgotten." When I asked about his actual Autumn term results, he said , " oh, I forget what the were" Ha!

Sunshowercap Sun 24-Apr-16 15:34:57

He's an adult about to graduate. Why not leave him alone?

mumeeee Sun 24-Apr-16 18:19:13

Just leave it up to him. He's an adult and doesn't need an incentive to find out things.
I encourage DD3 to keep going with her he assignments as she is very stressed at the moment. However she knows when they have to be in and when the results will be out. She did tell me but she did it because she wanted to. By the way DD3 is our third DD to go to university and we've never given a financial award for getting a degree.

Moanranger Sun 24-Apr-16 20:01:20

I wasn't planning to originally, but he never asks for a penny, works part-time, lives very frugally. He also suffers from depression & lacks confidence generally. He would really like to do some travelling after uni, and I think it would do him a world of good, so I was going to give him something & say " hit the road, spread your wings"

NiceCardigan Sun 24-Apr-16 21:11:57

Sounds like a lovely gesture OP I think in the circumstances you might just have to wait till the term ends and then you can be sure he's all done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now