Advanced search

Advice on maintenance loan when high earning DH has left the family

(6 Posts)
tartanbuggy Wed 06-Apr-16 13:38:27

Just after a bit of advice about who best to contact with regard to a bit of a quandry, please.

DD1 (20) after a few mental health issues has decided to accept an offer from our local uni. She hopes to be able to share a flat with a friend who is working.

Student Finance have contacted me by email to start the finance process, but I see that the household income asked about is for the previous tax year. My DH is a very high earner - 6 figures before tax - but decided in January this year to leave the marriage and move into a flat with an OW. I am a very low wage earner - not enough to pay tax - and have remained in the family home with DD and her siblings (both 17)

I am not sure how this will impact on any maintenance loan that DD might be eligible to apply for. She does not get on with her dad and is unlikely to want or be able to approach him for financial assistance. I am not sure if he would provide it either. However, on my income I am not sure I would be able to help her.

Is this something that Student Finance might take into account? Should I ring them before attempting to complete the forms?

LittlehamHums Wed 06-Apr-16 15:09:51

If you scroll down to the bottom it states....

Change the tax year that’s assessed
If your household income is expected to drop by 15% or more, you can ask for income details for the current tax year to be assessed instead. To do this, send a ‘CYI - current tax year income form’. There are two forms with clickable links.

Best to call them as well to check.

Decorhate Wed 06-Apr-16 15:54:46

I'm pretty sure that only the income of the resident parent is taken into account. So you most likely just need to declare your own income for that year anyway.

oldfatandtired1 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:13:11

I was in exactly this position with my son. He was reassessed only on my income, got a full grant (I think these are being phased out now sad, full loan and a bursary for being from a low income family. It still makes me furious his high earning father didn't have to contribute but it is as it is. DS graduated with a 1st and is now in a great job. It's a painful process but your daughter will be OK if she wants to go to Uni.

Ohtobeskiing Thu 07-Apr-16 09:05:19

My ds is at uni and one of his housemates pays reduced fees - based, I think, on the fact that he comes from a one parent family. I think he pays £6000 rather than £9000 per year. I have no idea of the details of his circumstances but there is obviously help there, it probably just needs looking for! Good luck to you and your dd.

tartanbuggy Thu 07-Apr-16 09:46:08

Thank you all so much for your advice and support. It would appear that this is not an unusual situation for people sad

As suggested, I contacted Student Finance England and they were very helpful. I will need to get a solicitor's letter to show that separation has taken place and when it happened - luckily I have already commenced legal proceedings so there shouldn't be a problem with getting a letter. Then, I just need to put my income for the financial year in question and it will proceed from there. The girl I spoke to was very helpful and I think it's just a matter of steeling myself to start going through the forms. It should be OK for DD I think.

Yes, I know what you mean about DH not having to support his DCs financially through university. We had realised that due to his earnings, any of the DCs going to uni would need considerable financial top-up support and this was something that had worried me for quite a while, especially with twins who might be going at the same time! Looks like DH will now escape having to fork out. Lucky old him!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now