Medical care for students

(10 Posts)
Rezolution123 Mon 28-Mar-16 16:22:23

Do students have to change their GP when they go away to uni?
Or do they use the GP near their college/uni as a visitor?
Genuine question as I have no idea what the procedure entails.

OP’s posts: |
bojorojo Mon 28-Mar-16 17:56:29

Most universities have health services for students which include standard GP services. Mine came back to the family GP as visitors in the holidays if needed. Check for Student Health Services at the universities your DC is attending. They should have all the info you need.

Rezolution123 Mon 28-Mar-16 18:24:27

Thanks bojorojo. My DDs will have to register as soon as they get to their unis. I am trying to collect together all their information on what jabs they have had and what other jabs they need before they go off. MenACWY seems to be the main one.

OP’s posts: |
rightsaidfrederickII Mon 28-Mar-16 18:52:41

They will normally register at a GP that is local to their university, as that is where they will spend most of the year. Some universities make it compulsory.

If they need to see a GP when they are at home for the holidays, they can return to their old (or any) GP and be seen as a temporary resident.

Records should be transferred, but it can take a while, so it's best to get any jabs etc. done before they go - meningitis is the classic, but if they missed out on MMR etc., then this is a very good time to do it too, as such infections can spread rapidly in the close quarters that student halls invariably are. Surely your GP will already know what jabs your DDs have had though?

bigbluebus Mon 28-Mar-16 19:27:04

I told my DS to change to his Uni Gp last September and sent him with the NHS medical card so he could do it. He still hasn't done it yet hmm. Thankfully he hasn't been ill but I assume he could just attend the Uni medical centre as a visitor the same as he would do when home if he had transferred. He did have his MenACWY before he left home though. I've given up nagging about it now.

Sunshowercap Mon 28-Mar-16 21:13:31

It's quite important they register with a practice local to their university. If theres a crisis, they will need care quickly, and we will need to know that they're getting care. And we'll need proof of that, if they want mitigation.

Rezolution123 Mon 28-Mar-16 23:16:53

Thanks everyone.
Rightsaidfrederick You are quite right about the GP knowing what jabs they have had but only up to a point... because we live in Wales and our GP is in a Welsh Health authority ... the DDs go to school in England which has a totally different health authority. Therefore the jabs for HPV and DTP they have had while in High School in England have not been recorded by their GP in Wales because the Health Authority which did them did not tell him about them.(Too much effort perhaps?)
I guess I will have to do my best to fill in the gaps left by the NHS and sort it all out tomorrow.

OP’s posts: |


cricketballs Tue 29-Mar-16 08:41:03

DS registered as a student with a GP practice suggested by SU, therefore he stayed on the list of home GP

2rebecca Tue 29-Mar-16 13:31:48

My son registered at his uni. He is there most of the time Mon-Fri when GP surgeries are open. I think registering separately with a GP is another part of growing up as well. If they get unwell they should be able to access health care themselves.
They can be a temp resident in uni holidays.

2rebecca Tue 29-Mar-16 13:32:47

In Scotland you can't be on 2 lists so if on a GP's list at uni you aren't on your parent's home GP list.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in