Daughter on gap year holding out for offer from Edinburgh Uni

(19 Posts)
riverswimmer Thu 25-Feb-16 14:37:09

Daughter applied to UCAS in 2014 then decided to have gap year and defer her uni place. She accepted her lowest offer (Birmingham ABB) as lacks confidence. Ended up doing better than expected (A*A*A ) so re-applied to UCAS 2015 with Edinburgh as first choice again. In early Feb 2015 Edin had offered her AAA but she didn't think she'd get those grades so accepted Birmingham. This time round she still hasn't heard from Edin and is getting anxious, especially as her grades exceed what they wanted last year. Are others still waiting to hear from Edinburgh?

OP’s posts: |
ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 25-Feb-16 14:42:16

Not sure about Edinbutgh but DD had an offer from somewhere else two days ago, having almost given up hope.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 25-Feb-16 14:44:48

Suggests here that you chase up on the progress of your application if you've not heard.

riverswimmer Thu 25-Feb-16 15:25:28

Thanks for the useful info, ShotgunNotDoingThePans.

OP’s posts: |
BertrandRussell Thu 25-Feb-16 15:31:24

Edinburgh are notoriously late in making offers- but I would have thought she should have heard one way or the other. When's the deadline for accepting?

BertrandRussell Thu 25-Feb-16 15:33:24

Can I ask why she only accepted one university? Couldn't she have accepted Edinburgh as first choice and Birmingham as her insurance?

RedHelenB Thu 25-Feb-16 15:37:03

Because she deferred entry I think Bertrand


riverswimmer Thu 25-Feb-16 15:43:34

I don't know why she only accepted one - she is reluctant to take advice. But that was last year and she has done a completely new UCAS application for 2016. She has had offers from all the others to which she applied (with her grades) but is hanging on before accepting any of them as she wants to go to Edinburgh.

OP’s posts: |
bojorojo Thu 25-Feb-16 16:22:50

Would Edinburgh offer to a potential student who had already rejected them once? I do not know the answer, but they may not.

BertrandRussell Thu 25-Feb-16 16:57:03

I think she should ring the admissions office tomorrow.

riverswimmer Thu 25-Feb-16 18:59:03

I don't know either but it is possible I suppose.

OP’s posts: |
rightsaidfrederickII Thu 25-Feb-16 22:36:35

The universities have until 5th May to respond, according to UCAS rules, so there's no rush from their point of view.

This might be interesting to you, though of course there's no guarantee it's up to date www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/university_of_edinburgh

Janjanmama Fri 26-Feb-16 02:27:52

My daughter submitted UCAS application in early October and Edinburge was the first one who gave her an offer within one week. I think your dd better ring and ask as she has already got all grades in hand.

Moominmammacat Fri 26-Feb-16 08:16:42

Both mine got early offers BBB from Edinburgh ... one of them after he had rejected them the previous year for a different subject.

riverswimmer Fri 26-Feb-16 17:11:59

Thanks everyone. The Admissions office have told her to be patient!

OP’s posts: |
riverswimmer Mon 07-Mar-16 18:07:13

Offer received - phew! Thanks everyone.

OP’s posts: |
RedHelenB Mon 07-Mar-16 21:02:26

that's good news.

coffeeinaredmug Sat 19-Mar-16 09:21:06

My DD still hasn’t heard from Edinburgh. It is the only one outstanding. She has an offer from her first choice and three good back ups to pick from so Edinburgh is immaterial now but it is a bit annoying that it takes them so long.

Trollicking Sat 19-Mar-16 15:02:39

Phew, I hope your DD has a great time there. I think it must be a great place to be a student.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in