Masters?

(7 Posts)
NapoleonsNose Sun 14-Feb-16 18:24:55

Bit of background. I did a History degree as a mature student and graduated in 2013 with a First. I really, really wanted to carry on and do my masters but unfortunately didn't have the money to do it. Now that postgrad loans have been brought in for those the wrong side of 30, the finance is available.

I've subsequently got a job working 30 hours a week in a completely unrelated field to my degree. I really miss studying and now that it is possible to get funding for masters up until the age of 60, I'm seriously considering doing it part time.

I live in a part of the country where wages are quite low and I don't expect it would really increase my earning potential, although you never know what contacts it might give and what might happen. I love my subject and really miss researching and studying. Firstly I would have to see if my employer would be flexible enough to let me do it. My previous employer was great and really flexible during my undergrad, but they were a big national company whereas my new employer is a small local company and I'm not sure how they'd react if I asked for the same sort of flexibility. I do get on well with my boss though. I'd have to do it part-time to maintain the same income.

Would I be mad even to consider it? I worked 16 hours a week during my u/g and the DC were still young teenagers. Now DD is 18, and hopefully off to uni herself in Sept, and DS is 16. I have a good work ethic and am sure that the studying would be fine. I think I'm dithering because financially it would probably make no difference and I would add another 10k to my student loan which I am highly unlikely to ever pay back - I'm 43 now.

BestIsWest Tue 16-Feb-16 21:59:50

Do it.

titchy Tue 16-Feb-16 22:08:21

Agree - do it!

SquadGoals Tue 16-Feb-16 22:10:08

Definitely do it. I'm part way through mine and there are people a lot older than you studying.

Have you considered distance learning? If you can find a course that suits, it means you can fit it around work and not have to take time off.

Foginthehills Wed 17-Feb-16 08:52:55

Do it! Do it! Do it! Seriously, go for it.

If you read some of the threads in here, about difficulties at university, there's often an undertone of teenagers not quite sure why they're at university, not able to take responsibility for independent study, and lacking resilience to take rough and smooth - or lacking the will to develop that resilience.

You, on the other hand, WANT to study, know why, understand the difficulties, and are willing to get on with it.

I love teaching students like you.

NapoleonsNose Sun 21-Feb-16 16:51:37

I'd forgotten I'd posted. Just noticed my thread had a few replies whilst looking at the uni 2016 threads for DD. I'm liking the unanimous 'do it'! There is a postgraduate open day at the beginning of next month so I think I might go along and see.

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Feb-16 16:58:07

I did mine in the evenings while working part time (took two years) - I think as long as it's a subject you love, you'll be fine. My daughter took hers over two years, too, and the lessons were only about 4 hours per week (similar subject to yours.) Make sure the MA covers topics you love and you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now