Talk

Advanced search

Canterbury Christ Church University?

(9 Posts)
shockthemonkey Wed 09-Dec-15 10:00:12

Does anyone know of it? Reports welcome as about to recommend it to a student who just scraped her bac last year. Wants to study Business Studies with HR Mgt. Thanks!

Millymollymama Wed 09-Dec-15 12:45:20

The course only requires 280 ucas tariffs points so the IB points will be pretty low too. Obviously this is a local university serving a local community more than a national one but I do not think there are huge differences between courses at this level of university. I see the course can be 4 years with a year in industry on placement. This is the best route and is useful for getting a job after the degree as the student may well impress the prospective employers. Do check with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) about future acquisition of Chartered status after taking this degree. Would she get any exemptions from their exams?

Does it have to be in Kent? Are there any ex Polytechnics offering a similar course but would have a higher standing among universities? You can check what students think about the university in the student satisfaction tables.

Millymollymama Wed 09-Dec-15 12:51:40

If she has 30 points, Oxford Brookes is a better bet. They do Business Management with modules in HR. Oxford is a fabulous place to live and study but I am biased!

shockthemonkey Wed 09-Dec-15 22:15:07

Thanks. Oxford Brookes has told me they would not consider her application... she got 11.16 and they want 12. No matter that she's actually got her bac and is doing an interesting gap year, they said they may consider her in clearing but not now!

Does not have to be in Kent, but I have looked almost everywhere that would consider 12 in the bac (French bac not IB) and they are telling me to look at places for 260 UCAS points no more.

Thanks very much for your feedback though.

Am I right that you can't do clearing if you are actually holding an offer???

titchy Wed 09-Dec-15 22:21:42

You can apply at any time, including August for the first time! Procedure will be slightly different that's all. So yes a late application through clearing is possible.

titchy Wed 09-Dec-15 22:37:39

She needs to search for Foundation degrees. These are two years full time, and if she finishes she can then do a top up year to gain an honours degree.

See London South Bank as an example (80 tariff points needed):
ink{http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/business-fda-foundation#course\www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/business-fda-foundation#cours]]e}tabb_entry_requirements

bojorojo Thu 10-Dec-15 12:25:09

Sorry, I thought you meants the standard IB we use here. I would also recommend a foundation course. I think Oxford Brookes offer these and lots of other universities too. It really depends if she wants to do the degree right now because, as you are finding, the better universities can afford to be choosy. They may not reduce their requirements too much on clearning because they do not want to accept someone they think may not be able to complete the course. They will not like high drop-out rates. If she does not have English as her first language, they may also want English language requirements met. Therefore if you think Christ Church is good enough, and she can get a place, then go for it. If you think a Foundation degree leading to a course at a more highly rated university is a better route, then have a look at what is available. Sometimes a top-up course may be 2 years. I do think a year in industry is valuable though, especially for someone who is not hugely academic.

hefzi Thu 10-Dec-15 14:40:46

Some foundation year programmes come with a guaranteed offer at the university for the regular degree course, as long as you get above a certain grade or whatever. But I second the idea of somewhere with a year in industry as being the way to advancement in this case.

shockthemonkey Fri 11-Dec-15 18:11:19

Thanks very much. Will talk her through this advice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now