Advanced search

UCAS application-which divorced parent to use

(12 Posts)
Archiebald34g Thu 05-Nov-15 17:06:51

When applying on the UCAS application which parents details regarding job/income do you use? My DS lives full time with me but does have occ visits to his father ( he does pay maintanence) but he earns way more than me and we'll need all the help he can get with grants/loans so can I just use my details?

Decorhate Thu 05-Nov-15 17:21:45

Yes you should use your address & income

LizzieMacQueen Thu 05-Nov-15 17:24:09

I thought the form specifically asked for the highest earning parent so in your DS's case, this would be his father.

Decorhate Thu 05-Nov-15 18:25:55

Perhaps if both parents are together but afaik you only have to declare the income of people living with the applicant. It's well known for students with a wealthy absent parent to qualify for the full loan if the parent they are living with has a low enough income.

Decorhate Thu 05-Nov-15 18:35:02

You also don't need to declare any maintenance from your ds's father apparently. It's a well known loophole.

LizzieMacQueen Thu 05-Nov-15 18:43:12

Oh that is interesting. So in my DD's case where her father only resides with us 2 out of 7 nights she could put my income?

thatstoast Thu 05-Nov-15 18:46:05

Are you separated Lizzie? Or does he work away?

Savagebeauty Thu 05-Nov-15 18:47:43

I put my income as dd lives with me.
He is wealthy shock

ProbablyMe Thu 05-Nov-15 19:07:32

I used my income as DS lives with me when not at uni. My ex earns well but has already stated that he won't pay a regular amount to support DS. Maintenance stops at 18 when children enter higher education too so I'm not receiving any money for him be it cm or benefits so not sure how it's a loophole?

ProbablyMe Thu 05-Nov-15 19:08:38

Just to add that I had to provide a copy of my Decree Absolute to the student finance people to prove I was divorced and not just trying to play the system.

Decorhate Thu 05-Nov-15 19:28:17

A loophole in the sense that if your ex issupporting your dc financially (or paying maintenance for younger siblings) it's an income that doesn't have to be declared. Obv the absent parent may not be contributing at all, as in your case.

Archiebald34g Thu 05-Nov-15 19:50:40

Thank you all for the replies has helped a lot. I'm in the same situation as you ProbablyMe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: