Talk

Advanced search

house hold income, anyone know how this is decided for university?

(15 Posts)
NoahVale Sun 01-Nov-15 08:38:08

is it tax credits information?
most people ask for this.
housing benefit takes my ds job into account, as a household income, but a bursary for college for example asks for tax credits.
anyone been through this in getting help for university and how did you prove income?

Ripeningapples Sun 01-Nov-15 08:40:19

We filled out an on-line form. It told us immediately ds was entitled to diddly squat.

NoahVale Sun 01-Nov-15 08:45:20

thanks anyway grin

fuggyday Sun 01-Nov-15 19:02:16

I filled out the form and they took all my benefits and tax credits into account. I think I just put my NI number on the form and they checked it through HMRC. DS got a maximum grant and maintenance loan and also a bursary, plus a hardship fund grant from his university.

VegasIsBest Sun 01-Nov-15 19:08:25

Have a look on the Student Finance England website (assuming you're in England) and there will be details there.

Some Universities offer their own bursaries as well. You'd need to look at their websites.

Sadusername Sun 01-Nov-15 20:17:06

I think the maintenance grant is being scrapped as of September 2016.
Students are able to borrow more.

NoahVale Sun 01-Nov-15 20:38:48

yes, it is a maintenance loan now, looked on martin's money, but I am coming unstuck with Household income,
I guess the rent my ds pays me will have to be taken into account if anything does.

NoahVale Sun 01-Nov-15 20:39:23

thanks, will look at student finance england website

ragged Sun 01-Nov-15 20:43:15

Some Unis offer bursaries, really? Which ones?

fuggyday Mon 02-Nov-15 00:03:56

DS is at UCL ragged but most of the courses he applied to were offering them (inc. Bristol, Durham, Kings). He gets £3k per year and it's dependent on household income.

titchy Mon 02-Nov-15 09:40:39

Ragged all universities offer bursaries of some description or other. They have to in order to charge higher fees.

Ricardian Mon 02-Nov-15 15:21:07

And the bursaries are amongst the many reasons why people who think "going to the local university is cheaper" are often wrong. RG universities have a lot more money.

ragged Mon 02-Nov-15 19:49:36

is there a central website to look up typical bursary amounts?
Or is it a matter of trawling thru individual websites.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 02-Nov-15 19:53:54

Rent from your son paid to you would count. His income from his job won't. All benefits will, plus any income you or your partner or husband (if you're in a relationship) have.

VegasIsBest Mon 02-Nov-15 20:05:05

Here is a list of bursaries. They will change every year though;

www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/other-financial-support/bursary-and-scholarship-grids/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now