Talk

Advanced search

What happens when..

(3 Posts)
Electrolux2 Fri 23-Oct-15 09:31:17

I was overthinking. As I'm prone to do

Ds came home from school yesterday expressing his wish to go do a specific job in the future. He's only 11 so will change his mind I'm sure over the next few years but it started me thinking about university

First thing is I have no idea how I'm going to afford it.

Second thing is what happens to children who have very little in terms of extra curricular stuff to put on ucas forms because of various reasons
Things like a disability or a parents disability. Lack of parental funds to pay for such activities.
Do the admissions people know this somehow? Is it written by the school?

I'm obviously being very premature. He may not even be that way inclined at 18 but if there is something I can be doing now I would like to be doing it

I suppose I'm saying if a child has got the grades needed against a backdrop of difficulties at home for whatever reason, are those children at a huge disadvantage when it comes to university admissions because they have very little to write on their PS?

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Fri 23-Oct-15 09:46:25

The majority of both DD1 and DD2s personal statements were about why they wanted to study that subject. Excluding medicine and vet science, most academic courses aren't interested in DofE, grade 8 flute or county level rugby, they only want to know how much you love maths or history or whatever.

More vocational courses like to see some related extra-curricular, but generally that can be done as volunteering or museum visits. There are some courses for older DC which are subsidised (look at the Sutton Trust for sciences, also Villiers Park), plus lots of unis do access days/courses.

Trade journals/professional publications - school or public library can usually access these.

But, the school UCAS reference would cover where a DC has had particular hardships/struggles. Plus I believe (but may be wrong) that schools in less affluent areas get some kind of weighting when offers are made (may be called contextualised offers?).

Re funding - fees are paid via a repayable when the student earns over a certain amount - it's a flat rate percentage of salary. They're not paid directly or upfront.

Maintenance - this has changed slightly from 2016 entries (and i can't find official info as exactly how it's going to work) , but they get from approx £3k - approx £8 per year as a loan, again repayable once earning. That's calculated on parental income, so where parents earn more, they are expected to contribute. It's worth checking the costs at different unis quite early on in the choosing process - eg Bath is much more expensive than Sheffield, so perhaps you might like the Sheffield course better wink. LOts of students hold down part time jobs as well, obviously this depends on the course, but an arts course generally has fewer contact hours than a science course, so much more flexibility as to when you can fit in a couple of Tescos shifts.

DD1 managed perfectly well on around £6k per year (which was her maximum loan + grant) and then a Saturday job kept up her cinema habit. Helps if they don't drink much though wink.

HTH

Electrolux2 Fri 23-Oct-15 09:58:55

That is very helpful thank you
And reassuring.

He puts every bit of energy he has into school and doesn't have anything left really ( due to health) so knowing the school have the ability to write something is a relief.

I'll stop worrying about it now!
.. For a few years anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now