Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should i do a nursing degree

(4 Posts)
curlyron Mon 19-Oct-15 21:12:45

Hi All,

I can't believe I've never posted on here before!! I have 3 LO's, age 5, 4 and 20 months and, although I have been reading posts on MN for over 5 years, this is the first time I have actually posted!!
I actually am looking for advice from any mums out there who have recently studied for a degree in nursing?? I am currently working in a profession but have found that I am getting nowhere (especially since I went PT after my first child, and had 3 successive maternity leaves!!). My current profession isn't particularly making me happy, and besides, I think I always knew that I wanted to go into nursing.
So I am just wanting to know about anyones experience doing the nursing degree in general, but also - how was it as a mature student? I am 36 now, so I am hoping I am not too old to have a decent career once qualified.
Adive on how people managed financially too would be good. I know the NHS pays for the tuition fees and there is a small bursary, but is there help for childcare? How have mature student nurses managed financially?
..and how about time - have you still managed to have time and energy to give to your LO's?
Sorry for so many questions, but really looking for help here!!
Thanks all X

Student99 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:27:18

Hi I did nursing degree pre children...straightforward no probs. could cope with the week long night shifts etc...early 20s

Left to have 3dc

Fast forward 7, 4 and 2 yr old (at this point I'm 36)

Do 2 years of midwifery degree and nearly crumple under the stress and anxiety and have to stop

It's not the academics, it's the long shifts that start and finish outside of regular childcare times. Then had au pair who was fab but I still wanted to do all mum stuff and dh works long hrs so can't be roped in apart from weekends when doing assignments etc

Also no bursary because of dh salary

So.....

The biggest thing was childcare and being happy with who your kids are left with and juggling a household and striving for decent academic work

I obviously wasn't 'tough' enough cause my brains a bit broken and I still suffer from anxiety.....this is just my experience and wanted to share.....there will be positives soon!

Best of luck......you never know until you try!

Headofthehive55 Mon 19-Oct-15 23:27:49

If you have a degree some unis do a shortened version - 2 years I think. Also there might be part time degrees in it? Leicester I think.

It's a lot of hours - much more than a full time normal degree and you don't get the long student holidays. Would you work full time now? Would you find that do-able? I second what has been said about childcare.

Perhaps find some work as a HCA and try to see if the work patterns fit with your childcare?

Headofthehive55 Mon 19-Oct-15 23:31:23

But no, you aren't too old to have a career. It's a well worn Path that nurses work at lower grades when children are small, often part time but then extend hours and move upwards when kids are older. Have lost count of those that have done that...and ended up as professor or lecturer etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now