Advanced search


(8 Posts)
jessica2009 Wed 23-Sep-15 18:00:07

hi, i need bit of advice on what i should do. i have 3rd class degree in health studies and i work as healthcare assistant. but i really want do nursing postgraduate degree but it requires 2.2 to get into. i don't want to do 3 years of the course as undergraduate because its very long and i have a child who is only 1 year old and don't want to leave her everyday at home to no one to take care of. any advice on what i should do and would any university in London accept me if i apply?

hope to hear some advice.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 23-Sep-15 20:48:33

If you have a 1 year old, how are you going to cope with nights, latest and weekends? Just curious smile

lisayau Thu 24-Sep-15 22:06:52

I'm doing a nursing degree and I can tell you it's tough, especially if you want to do well.

We had a conversation with our lecturer today regarding what doing a masters in nursing would be like. We were told, if you get a first or 2:1 you will be fine, 2:2, may struggle, and as for 3rd, basically high chance you just won't be able to cope academically.

I am on track to do very well, but I certainly don't feel able to cope with the demands of a Masters. Be aware that academically it is going to be very demanding. I know someone currently doing a Masters and the level you are expected to work/ write at is very high. Different league to BSc.

Lastly, your child is very young, having studied with young children, I know it is really tough, maybe you should wait till your child is a bit older?

Just a suggestion, but why don't you do a nursing degree (but be aware it is unbelievably highly competitive to get on a course now). There is no tuition fee, you get a means tested bursary and help with childcare. Once you've finish your degree, you practically have a job waiting for you, especially if you're in London. At least then you get a good foundation and then after working for a while, if you want to do a Masters you can and would probably be much better equipped to cope with it. I believe you'd have to pay for it though.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Headofthehive55 Fri 25-Sep-15 06:54:44

If your aim is to work as a nurse then the undergraduate degree will work just as well for you. It will be less intense and you can always top up later.

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 25-Sep-15 07:08:19

The PGDip is two years, so you only save yourself a year, not that much in the grand scheme of things, especially as you sound quite young? Having seen the PGDip and BSc timetables for my university, the BSc have more time off - not official annual leave as that's the same 7 weeks for both, but reading weeks, make-up weeks. The PGDip is very intense and there's a higher passmark for the assignments. I'd say try for the BSc, sorry.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 25-Sep-15 07:12:18

Some universities now offer a 2 yr nursing degree for people who have previous degrees. The number of practice hours is the same as is the requirement to have experience at nights & weekends. If you work as a HCA in a NHS trust them maybe a secondment programme.
You will need robust childcare in place as you will be working shifts during your training

ditavonteesed Fri 25-Sep-15 07:16:44

I am currently doing the PG Dip and the work load is vast compared with my peers doing the undergraduate degree think for every reflection (1000 words referenced and actioned) they do we do 10. Essays are 6000 words and timetabled time is full 9-4 5 days a week. With such a young baby I would go for the undrgrad, I know the course I am on they wouldn't have considered a third due to number of applicants but others may do. The end result is the same and you would get to spend more time being a mother, I have basically waved goodbye to my kids and my friends and told them I will see them in 2 years, I didn't get a single day off over the summer hols. That said the degree is still fairly intense compared with any other degree. It will be worth it though, I have never been happier (or more tired). I would think you would have no trouble at all getting on the degree course due to your experience. Good luck whatever you decided.

Headofthehive55 Fri 25-Sep-15 10:39:16

Don't forget you won't need a post grad qualification until you go for higher grade jobs, and you will need more clinical experience for those.

It's an intense degree anyway, much more than a science degree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now