Talk

Advanced search

Is a PgDip Social Work seen as a failed MA by employers?

(7 Posts)
poorincashrichinlove Mon 21-Sep-15 11:57:28

I'm considering not doing the dissertation on my MA Social work course, so I would graduate with a PgDip, which would still qualify me to register with the HCPC. However, I'm worried that potential employers would view my PgDip unfavourably compared to MA and BA graduates.

I have 2 primary age DCs and work part-time (evenings and weekends). I have what I think is a good idea for a research based dissertation, but I feel so completely overwhelmed by it all. I am meeting with my supervisor this week, but haven't managed to come up with much of a draft for her to give me feedback on.

If there are any Social worker/Managers or academics that could advise me if I would be giving myself a disadvantage or not by not doing a dissertation even though I have a BSc. and have had a paper published in a peer reviewed academic journal I'd really like to hear from you.

OP’s posts: |
hatgirl Mon 21-Sep-15 12:06:47

No one will give a shiny shit what your social work qualification is as other than you grin

if it bothers you personally though have you asked if it would be a possible option to do the dissertation as a separate module at later date to 'upgrade' from one to the other?

JimmyGreavesMoustache Mon 21-Sep-15 12:10:57

I have a PGDipSW - I relocated to the other end of the country and started fulltime work so the dissertation didn't quite get off the ground
No-one has ever asked what qualification I have - they're only interested that I'm a HCPC registered professional.

I feel like a bit of a wally that I was a quick 12000 words away from an MA and didn't do it, but it doesn't keep me awake at night.

poorincashrichinlove Mon 21-Sep-15 12:58:08

I realise I'm probably blowing this way out of proportion. I've just emailed my supervisor ahead of our meeting to let her know the situation.

OP’s posts: |
RandomSocks Tue 22-Sep-15 20:10:11

If you have a good idea for a research-based qualification, I would encourage you to try to work out how you can do it, rather than settling for diploma.

Doing the dissertation will give you a more standard qualification, which could be useful at some point in the future.

My friend who did a masters was allowed a much longer period to submit the dissertation. Could that be an option for you?

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 23-Sep-15 08:58:35

I worked i social services dept... No one seemed to be bothered or discussed how people came to be qualified!

housinghelp101 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:34:00

Can I ask does a PgDip SW enable you to be a social worker? I have a social science degree and master s, would the diploma be enough?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »