Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to change Uni, mid course?

(10 Posts)
pinkrocker Wed 19-Aug-15 12:59:59

I am sadly not very impressed with my first year at uni. I have expressed my concerns to my lecturers about not feeling very confident in what I'm doing.
For instance, I went onto my 6 week teaching placement without much of a clue how to teach phonics, this was after two lectures and a load of PDA time allocated to it. My teacher mentor was not a little shocked at my lack of knowledge.
Lecturers just told me to read more on the subject.
Lectures are continually interrupted by the younger members of my cohort giggling and talking and carrying on.
I always think the lecturers should demonstrate successful classroom management but they dont .
What would you do!

MrsPCR Wed 19-Aug-15 13:34:38

Universities will often allow you to transfer the credits from first year of a course as normally first year doesn't count towards your actual degree classification. You would need to find a comparable university with a similar course and speak to their admissions.

I have heard of people transferring to be closer to home. It completely depends on the uni though and how desperate they are to fill a space

Good luck!

pinkrocker Fri 21-Aug-15 22:14:15

Ah brilliant, thanks!
I didn't get into my 1st choice uni, do you think if I called them and asked them to take me as a second year it would be worth a while? Or would I still be "unacceptable"?

MrsPCR Fri 21-Aug-15 23:12:12

You have nothing to lose from calling them and as I said, if they've got a place, chances are they'll want to fill it. They may have had s high drop out rate from year 1.

I went through clearing for my degree and didn't have the grades for my uni but they had a place and I had no problems with the course.

Fingers crossed!

pinkrocker Wed 26-Aug-15 23:36:58

Well I called and then they asked me to email so I did. Fingers crossed indeed!!!

pinkrocker Wed 02-Sep-15 10:52:43

Got an interview Fri !

DotaDay Wed 02-Sep-15 10:54:14

Ohh, that's promising. Good luck.

pinkrocker Tue 15-Sep-15 21:53:20

Thanks! it went well, we had a great 45 min chat. I got offered a place.
I then had a chat with current Uni about what I feel I'm missing from their course and what the other could do, and I have been asked for another (possibly an "exit"?) interview tomorrow with the Programme Leader at Uni.
Bricking it a but... I don't want to upset her as she's absolutely lovely.

senua Wed 16-Sep-15 08:59:21

Well done!smile
And kudos to the current University for organising the exit interview - let's hope others can benefit from your experience.
My nephew changed Universities during his course (not teaching, something else) and it was the best thing he ever did.

pinkrocker Sun 27-Sep-15 10:59:32

Well I have decided I'm staying put, current University said they'd put some strategies in place and talk about student's behaviour at the start of term (which is great!) and the phonics, while they feel 4 lectures in an entire year is enough, they will give me a lot more support.
So I'm much happier now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now