Talk

Advanced search

University accommodation

(8 Posts)
livedtotellthetale Fri 14-Aug-15 14:27:58

DD2 got a place at her insurance in Bournemouth she is happy now after a few tears yesterday, She has just phoned to sort out accommodation and there is none left in Bournemouth, only a unite block in Poole which dosent look too bad and the rent is ok only a bit far out.
But I have heard not so good things about unite. Also there is a deposit and a booking fee of £330.00 to pay does anyone know when they need this by.
DD1 went to Bristol last year and we didnt have any problems I dont think I even had to pay a depsot. Money is a bit tight so a bit worried they will want the deposit asap and be less understanding on waiting for the rent till student finance comes in anyone had any dealings with unite

Coffeemarkone Fri 14-Aug-15 14:30:36

A booking fee of 330 PLUS the deposit?
What have you heard?
What about a shared house? Does the university accom office give out any details of people looking for sharers?

livedtotellthetale Fri 14-Aug-15 14:31:10

DD2 is being failey positive about it and has joined the accommodations facebook page to get to know who else is in the block, but is a bit upset
it is so far out

Heels99 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:31:16

Have you asked them when they want the deposit by? Can you call them? Are there any other options?

livedtotellthetale Fri 14-Aug-15 14:34:20

£330.00 is the deposit and booking fee together. and Unite is usually slated on here, dd wants to live in halls the first year and it dosent look to bad just in Poole rather then Bournemouth but a bus pass is provided

Heels99 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:37:47

Do unite do halls though? Or just rent a room with a shared kitchen but no other common facilities that you would get in a hall?

livedtotellthetale Fri 14-Aug-15 14:38:04

I am just worried they will want the depsot in the next week to secure her room, and money is tight till the end of the month

Delilahfandango Fri 14-Aug-15 16:50:48

I don't know about unite but I know where the block is - it's probably about 1/2 hour bus journey to the main uni site, but a free bus pass is good! My DD didn't get a place in halls for her 1st year (not Bournemouth) so ended up in a house share a bus journey away from her campus and didn't get any travel help - so that's a plus. The flats are about 5/10 minute walk from the bus station and there is an Aldi practically on site, so good for cheap shopping. It's close to the quay and an area called the baiter, that is a park of sorts on the water - so very pleasant.
As I said my DD ended up in a house share and I think was a good thing in a lot of ways - they had to really stand on their own two feet, which IMHO was great for her!.
Hope you work the money side outflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now