A level Law

(18 Posts)
3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:10:23

Is it a good choice?
Facilitating subject for RG university?
TIA.

Lilymaid Fri 24-Jul-15 17:14:32

Not a great choice and no, not a facilitating subject.
What are the other choices and what does the student think he/she might do at university or work?

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:19:59

Hoping to do an English degree.
Other AS subjects French, English and economics.

Stingingthistle Fri 24-Jul-15 17:51:24

It's a perfectly good A level (and I say that as a lawyer) but unfortunately some are snobby about it.

French, economics, english and law is a great set of subjects and if that is what your DC is interested in I would say go for it. The rest are very traditional subjects in any case so it's unlikely to be a hindrance.

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:54:46

Thank you.

Superherosidekick Fri 24-Jul-15 17:55:08

I did law a-level and got into a RG uni to study law but this was 20 years ago. It's a fun a-level to study but it isn't now well regarded and isn't considered a 'solid' a-level. If competition for places in the course is fierce I would t choose it. History would be better choice

InHouseLawyer Fri 24-Jul-15 18:10:40

No it's not a good a level - and I also say that as a lawyer. Like it or not my chambers would have been sniffy about a law a level and I don't doubt many university's would feel the same.

Stingingthistle Fri 24-Jul-15 19:05:49

Inhouselawyer, what (if anything) do you actually know about the content of the A level?

InHouseLawyer Fri 24-Jul-15 19:50:28

Stinging not a lot.

However my understanding was that the OP was questioning not whether one would gain knowledge or subject matter expertise from taking the course, which I concede they may, but whether A level law would allow them to progress to a university or career of their choice.

I have sat on enough recruitment committes to know that law A level is not respected by lawyers. In fact the opposite is true.

titchy Fri 24-Jul-15 19:57:34

But OP's ds isn't wanting to do a law degree, so the experience of recruiting for a law firm is pretty irrelevant....

LIZS Fri 24-Jul-15 20:02:34

But if op's Ds wants to do a Law conversion course after degree the wider perception of the A level is relevant.

Lilymaid Fri 24-Jul-15 20:17:51

Agree that history would be a better choice (even Politics or Philosophy - non facilitating subjects - would be better).
If you eventually wanted to do law conversion, some intern experience in a law firm would be far more beneficial than Law AS or A2.

Stingingthistle Fri 24-Jul-15 20:23:54

I agree there does seem to be some snobbishness around it but I think it's unjustified and FWIW not everyone holds that attitude. For a fourth A level it's perfectly fine and is not going to be a black mark against Op's chid when teamed with the other a level choices.

InHouseLawyer Fri 24-Jul-15 21:01:05

titchy I disagree that experience of recruiting for a law firm (which I've never personally done - I was in chambers and now work in house in an MNC, recruiting in many disciplines) is irrelevant. Broadly speaking it's likely to be indicative of the wider perception of the subject.

Regardless of whether the perception is fair or not, it exists and it does a disservice to the OP to suggest it doesn't.

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 21:04:33

Gosh - differing opinions.
I must be honest and say that my enquiry was on behalf of a friend who isn't on MN.
My DC have all passed that stage now thank goodness.
I will pass on everyone's thoughts though.
Thanks to everyone.

eatyourveg Sat 25-Jul-15 08:15:43

This from Cambridge faculty of law

"“While we are aware of the perception by some that studying Law at A-level might be considered a ‘negative’, we are somewhat puzzled by this. The clear view taken here in Cambridge on Law at A-level is a ‘neutral’ one. So taking Law as an A-level subject does not put students at a
disadvantage for admission to read law at Cambridge, nor does it provide an advantage.”

See here and here

PiratePanda Sat 25-Jul-15 16:19:22

Candidate is taking three facilitating A Levels already, and wants to read English at university. I would have thought it would be perfectly fine for them to take Law A Level. (University lecturer here, but not in Law).

Hoplikeabunny Sat 25-Jul-15 16:33:46

I took Law A-Level and got offers from 3 RG Universities to study English, so I know for a fact that it is absolutely fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now