Talk

Advanced search

art school applicaton?

(6 Posts)
timeandtimeagain Wed 08-Jul-15 14:13:34

Can someone tell me how to apply for art or art & design types courses? Are there a lot of differences between HND and degrees in the first 2 or 3 years? Which one will have more choices HNDs or degrees? Also considering long term finance implications? I believe it may be cheaper at FE than unis. Perhaps spend two years in FE then continue in a HE or Uni. Your views?

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 15:46:43

Degrees are better. They are the higher level qualification. Very many people access art degrees by doing a foundation course and these may be available locally. HND is a stepping stone to a degree too but they are not the same level as a degree. FE courses are not university degrees. So they are cheaper but you are comparing apples and pears. Is it ultimately the degree that you want?

My advice would be to do the traditional route of a foundation course. This should give you wide exposure to different art and from that you can discover if your degree should be fine art, photography, textiles, ceramics etc and you will get the opportunity to produce the necessary portfolio of work for your degree application. If you would rather to a BTEC type course, I would check what type of course is best as a foundation for a higher level course. You may well still need to do a foundation course though but it will depend on the university.

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 15:47:17

Depend on the university and the degree. (I meant to say).

timeandtimeagain Wed 08-Jul-15 20:48:09

Thanks I suppose for HNDs you need to know the course or skill area you want first.

timeandtimeagain Wed 08-Jul-15 22:12:22

What sort of A levels do unis expect?

PattyPenguin Thu 09-Jul-15 20:44:37

A good start would be to decide what universities you're looking at and check their websites. Falmouth, for instance, would be looking for Level 3 equivalent qualifications, such as A Levels, Foundation Diploma, Extended (National) Diploma, International Baccalaureate or equivalent experience, for entry to first year of a BA Hons course.

A portfolio of work relevant to the course is vital. Some do get in straight after A levels / equivalent at school or college, but that's usually because they have an exceptional portfolio. Most have to do a foundation year - no fees as it's an FE course, but no loan either, so usually done locally.

As an example, my daughter knew she wanted to do Graphic Design, so did A level Art and Psychology and BTEC Graphic Design in 6th form. Although she applied to universities from the 6th, she ended up having to do a foundation course at a local university, and then got into her first choice university for her degree course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now