Goodness, first year over.. Already!!

(11 Posts)
Delilahfandango Tue 30-Jun-15 23:14:49

Having just gone to pick up DD after her first year, I am amazed at how quickly it has gone! This time last year I (we) were stressing about A level results, accommodation, how she would cope etc! She has had an amazing time - grown up hugely! I asked her, on the long, hot journey home if she had an regrets or any "what the hell am I doing" moments - she looked at me as if I were mad! I am over whelmingly proud of hersmile she got 80% in her first exam, so now awaiting the other results. I actually feel sorry for her having to come home - we are very rural and she has been living in a very vibrant city! Apologies, I feel a bit shell shocked and just needed to offload! wine to everyone who has survived the first yearsmile

Isthiscorrect Wed 08-Jul-15 13:23:05

Congrats to you for surviving the year and well done to DD on her results so far. Fingers crossed for the rest. I have to agree the year has gone by in a flash. Like you say hard to believe that this time last year everyone was biting their nails just waiting for results.
It's mayhem here, well not here exactly and that's the problem :-( Ds was in London looking for accommodation for next term (yes I know it's late lol) and he broke his ankle :-( he had to move out of halls th next day to his grandparents nearly 200 miles away. He made it with lots of help. Has seen the consultant but he need to attend a meeting back in London in 2 weeks and then 3 days later travel to the airport to fly out to us. Yes it will all happen but ........ So exam results and chit chat have been lost in the flurry of organising. The results are very Important because even as year 1 they make up 1/5 of the total end of year 3 mark! So they don't get exam marks as they go along, just the whole lot on 14th July. It's going to be a busy summer.
Have a great time.

Needmoresleep Wed 08-Jul-15 14:01:36

Oh dear. Your poor DS has had quite an eventful year. Any progress on the accomodation front?

Isthiscorrect Wed 08-Jul-15 19:27:08

Sadly not Needmore. He was on his way back from looking at a house last Thursday when he got shoved on the escalator on the tube, twisted his ankle as he stumbled and that was it. Sigh.
And after all that the house was rubbish. To be honest he didn't expect much but he is. Ross. The three people he wants to share with had at least 2 weeks whilst Ds still had exams but they did nothing. He has been looking but 2 of them are overseas in their home countries and one is not in London so he sent an email with all the info they would need to supply along with a breakdown of the large amount of upfront cash and nothing has happened. So I shall be in London in August and we will see what we can get. Obviously the better houses will have gone and if his friends haven't got their act together he will be by himself, which I didn't want really.
Anyway enough of that. When is results day for your Ds?and does it count towards his final grade?

Needmoresleep Thu 09-Jul-15 07:05:53

That sounds like a pain. Some of them may be very together but many are still very much "trainee adults", still learning. So whilst it sounds like a good idea to all share a house together, he now knows the importance of pinning down the practicalities. The amount of money needed upfront is shocking. This seems to be a London thing and seems to reflect the number of overseas students without British resident guarantors.

DS is also waiting on results. I don't know how much they count to a final degree but think he needs to pass three out of four to avoid repeating the year. (Only lawyers get summer resits apparantly.) More importantly he wants to know how well he has done on the maths papers in order to decide which options he takes next year. Its been a strange journey. I don't think he has ever seen himself as a strong mathematician, perhaps because he was at a school where lots were. However he is beginning to think he might be OK, and so if he does well this year may opt for a degree heavily weighted towards mathematical methods.

Headofthehive55 Thu 09-Jul-15 14:53:20

Mine is home too. She couldn't wait to come home. It's lovely to see her! It's clear she is more settled and happier at home though than uni. She's loving her job though, which is the main thing!

Isthiscorrect Thu 09-Jul-15 17:06:45

That's great news Head. You must be very happy. And good news she's enjoying the job. Do you think she will settle better next term? With the experience and maturity they have gained this year?

Headofthehive55 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:03:46

Hmm. I do hope so. I think she managed well considering it wasn't her first choice but insurance. Same course though, which she really likes and her job is related so I am thankful she is enjoying it and not turning round saying she doesn't like it! A broken ankle? Goodness, life is never smooth is it?

Poisonwoodlife Fri 10-Jul-15 14:08:35

isthis Your poor son but with 5 years experience of finding London student accommodation I wouldn't worry too much. My DD didn't ever start looking until August and most of her flats were marketed generally rather than specifically to students (apart from the one for 7 above a mouse infested dry cleaners directly on the A1 grin ) so the best ones having gone wasn't really an issue. In fact their favourite house was the most grotty to my naïve eyes but maybe original 70s decor complete with carpets that look as though someone vomited whilst twirling round must be back in fashion hmm

Needmoresleep Fri 10-Jul-15 15:11:58

Though be a bit careful. August/Sept is when new graduates start looking. Because they are earning they can pay more. There is always a seasonal rise in rents. This year the market seems tight. I am remarking one flat and agents are suggesting prices 25% up on a year ago.

Also be a bit careful.
DS says agents routinely tell students to lie about the numbers in the flat. Eg 4 live in a three bed using the living room but only three on the tenancy agreement. In many cases this is OK in that the landlord doesn't mind, simply wants to limit the no of official tenants to avoid creating a HMO. However as a landlord I do mind. Not least because 4 often turns into eight eg boyfriends and girlfriends staying over. As a result I now read the riot act to sharers and emphasise I will terminate a tenancy if terms are breached. I think I am unusual.

Isthiscorrect Sat 11-Jul-15 14:16:00

Thanks Needmore I will bear all that in mind. Sigh. This child is awfully more expensive this year than necessary, with flight changes due to the broken ankle and not getting accommodation in time. Still all will come good in the end. Thanks very much for the tips.
Poisonwood! That sound just hideous, but how funny that what they like is not what we would want, older and wiser I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now