Talk

Advanced search

Which universities best for Spanish and French?

(10 Posts)
UniChauffeur Tue 30-Jun-15 07:33:27

My DNiece is looking at

Kings London
Durham
Bath
Belfast

Might also have mentioned Exeter.

Are these good choices?

I'm confused as to how, say, Belfast has made such a leap in the league tables over the course of a year

Any info would be appreciated. Not that DN is actually interested in her clueless auntie's opinion, of course grin

titchy Tue 30-Jun-15 07:56:36

They're all Russell Group so perfect MN choices grin I assume by Belfast you means QUeens?

senua Tue 30-Jun-15 10:00:54

I have no idea, but look at what they do for the year out - it varies vastly between institutions.

Littleham Tue 30-Jun-15 11:24:31

It depends on what she enjoys studying. Does she like the language / linguistics part of learning a language? Or does she prefer looking at texts / literature in their original language? Is there a particular area of Spanish and French that she enjoys? All the courses are split in a different way.

Second decision. Does she want to go to the literature element of lectures spoken in the language (complete immersion....Durham does this I think) or does she want to be taught in English for the literature part?

How political / European does she want the course to be? Bath has more of a European emphasis I think.

She needs to make that decision and eliminate from that point. Also where does she prefer to live - a big buzzy city or a small historic town?

(my dd is doing languages at Bristol)

UniChauffeur Tue 30-Jun-15 12:05:43

Thanks for replies.

Titchy - yes, it's Queens smile

Littleham - I think she's more interested in the language/linguistics side.

And she seems interested in political side. Is your DD enjoying Bristol? We're going to look at Bath soon so might take a look at Bristol too.

Littleham Tue 30-Jun-15 13:09:05

She loves it at Bristol and so do all her languages friends. Very friendly place. It has amazing facilities - have a look at the multimedia centre on the website.

All your dn's choices seem great but just remember that they will all have different slants.

FatherReboolaConundrum Tue 30-Jun-15 19:34:31

If you're looking at London then she should look at Queen Mary. That has a strong modern languages reputation, particularly in Hispanic Studies.

fredabear Tue 30-Jun-15 19:44:53

York also good for linguistics
I went to Queen Mary for French and Spanish loved it, but was years ago, Spanish particularly strong

traceyinrosso70 Tue 30-Jun-15 23:16:37

What about Southampton ? DD there doing their MLang course (French and German with European Studies). A very language based course (rather than Literature based).

Littleham Wed 01-Jul-15 09:29:35

Someone I know is going to study Spanish at Surrey University and she is very into linguistics / language. There are loads of really good options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now