Talk

Advanced search

Can you just put one Uni on your UCAS form?

(7 Posts)
Newtothisunichoosinggame Fri 19-Jun-15 00:36:47

DS2 wants to go to university in Scotland as he loves the broad nature of Scotish degrees particularly the fact in the first two years he could do two MFL's alongside his chosen subject (he unlike me is a natural linguist). Only three universities offer his course 2 are in the top 5 of the UK league table for his subject. All require 2A's and 1B min he's predicted 3A*s. So we've visited two of them, the third is St Andrews, he wouldn't be seen dead there as he wants to be in a city (we live in the English eqivilant to St Andrews he hates it). He didn't like one of the ones we looked at because he just doesn't like the course structure it's heavily weighted in the only area that doesn't interest him very much and loved the other it's heavily weighted in the area he's passionate about so now he doesn't want to go anywhere else. Can we just put this university on his UCAS form? If he doesn't get offered a place he accepts he would have rethink his plans and go for a joint honors degree instead and apply to English universities in his planned gap year.

meerschweinchen Fri 19-Jun-15 00:39:21

Yes, of course you can.

shockthemonkey Fri 19-Jun-15 13:28:03

Not only that, you can go back later (after having made your one choice) and add new ones, up to the usual limit of five, at any time up to the relevant deadline.

This allows him to change his mind after sending in his application to the only uni he can currently see himself studying at -- because let's face it something else may come to light in the interim.

Millymollymama Fri 19-Jun-15 18:47:26

Does this course offer a year abroad (in two countries) as well? Sounds like hard work if the languages are at the same level as a standard MFL degree. I would look at a couple more possibles just in case plan A does not work.

Newtothisunichoosinggame Fri 19-Jun-15 19:43:41

Milly no year abroad in the first two years you have to choose two modules from two other areas and 1 module in your chosen subject. You can pick up 2 MFL's is you wish. At the end of two years you can then either choose to stick with one subject i.e. the one you originally applied for, or perhaps change to one you've studied in the two years and really enjoyed or split two 50 50 you then study for another two years.

MiffyMyKitty Fri 19-Jun-15 20:21:19

Hi newto my DD only applied to one uni. She didn't really like any of the other uni she was given offers. So come this August if she gets the grades, great smile. BBut if not sad she will automatically be put into clearing, think my DD will be taking a gap year if she doesn't get into her firm though.
Good luck. And all the best x smile

MiffyMyKitty Fri 19-Jun-15 20:32:33

Meant to say she applied to 5 uni but only put one as her firm no insurance. But she didn't have to apply to 5, could have just put only one that she liked on her ucas app if she wanted. Sorry I wasn't clear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now