HRP supervisor sharing my work, is this normal ?

(10 Posts)
IReallyAmHephzibah Sun 14-Jun-15 14:13:13

I am going to be slightly vague so as not to out myself !
I have just finished my HRP (dissertation ) and my supervisor has emailed it to another party (I wouldn't have been able to undertake my research without this other party).
I am writing an article for a professional publication based on my research with my supervisor editing it and it was during this that he emailed my work to the other party .
I was waiting until I had written the article and corrected a couple of stupid spelling mistakes I had missed on my HRP before sending it to the other party. So I was going to send my work to the other party I am just taken a back that my supervisor sent my work without discussing it with me.
Is this normal etiquette ?

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 16:15:33

It doesn't sound outrageous. What is the role of Other party at this point, does your supervisor want their comments? Given how busy academics are, don't make the window for them to comment too small. Unis tend to be empty 1 Aug-10 Sep so get it on his To Do list now if you want it back in decent time.

IReallyAmHephzibah Sun 14-Jun-15 16:51:14

It doesn't have anything to do with the other party really other than reading my findings. My supervisor doesn't want the other party's comments as the article has been written and sent for submission.
Like I say I was going to send a copy of my HRP to the other party as per our agreement I was just surprised to hear that my supervisor sent it without speaking to me about it.

IReallyAmHephzibah Sun 14-Jun-15 16:53:05

But I am glad it is not an outrageous thing to have happened, I really am new to all of this and I am unsure of what 'the done thing is'. smile

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 17:10:59

You can maybe put a DRAFT watermark on documents being circulated until the last moment before submission for peer review. The odd typo or later-revised conclusion isn't unusual in unsubmitted documents, so shouldn't bother anyone to see.

UptheChimney Mon 15-Jun-15 09:46:55

Keep an eye on it, but it's not unusual. It may be that your supervisor felt that it would be a better introduction to the other researcher coming from him/her than from a student. It's something I can imagine doing for a PhD student of mine -- smoothing the way a bit for them by using my network to help them.

IReallyAmHephzibah Tue 16-Jun-15 00:25:30

I am sorry , I haven't been clear.
My supervisor has sent my HRP to the other party not my article.
I was given access to a project (by the other party) without which I couldn't have completed my research.
I was always going to send my HRP to the other party but I was surprised that my HRP supervisor sent it without mentioning it to me.
I am very grateful to the other party as my research will lead to my first journal article but I must admit to being a little put out by my supervisor.

UptheChimney Tue 16-Jun-15 08:14:00

My comment still stands: your supervisor could be smoothing your way & effecting an introduction. A busy academic receiving a long piece of work from someone unknown to them is less likely to be effective than this sort of virtual introduction.

But which is your issue? If your problem is with sending the thesis, that's one thing. But your problem seems to be that your supervisor sent it without asking you?

Ask your supervisor. Communicate.

IReallyAmHephzibah Tue 16-Jun-15 15:35:56

Thank you for your comments, it's hard to know what is the 'done thing' .
I was a little put out that my supervisor sent my thesis without mentioning it to me but I didn't want to bring it up if it is what routinely happens.
Thanks again for your help smile

UptheChimney Tue 16-Jun-15 20:09:21

It's not necessarily routine, but your supervisor may have been trying to help.

If you're working together on an article, why not just ask?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now