Talk

Advanced search

What's the best student account?

(10 Posts)
basildonbond Thu 29-Jan-15 12:39:51

Ds needs to get a new bank account - he will (fingers crossed) be off to uni this September

What are the best accounts? He will no doubt be seduced by shiny offers of vouchers etc hmm

Littleham Thu 29-Jan-15 12:45:45

www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/student-graduate-current-accounts/123-student-current-account

smile

Isthiscorrect Thu 29-Jan-15 13:38:38

There is no denying it. Santander 123 is the best. Money saving expert has loads of info for students about money. Ds has an account with Santander, says the Customer service online is pants, the branch are brilliant but he transefers his money out to hsbc as that works better for him personally. no idea why

fussychica Thu 29-Jan-15 15:04:13

DS has been with Santander since he started university (now in 4th year) and has been very happy with them. He has a railcard as part of the deal.

Decorhate Thu 29-Jan-15 17:07:00

Can't remember where but I've seen a reccy for the Co-op on the basis that it gives a bigger free overdraft which might me useful whilst waiting for loans to come through?

Delilahfandango Thu 29-Jan-15 19:36:13

DD went for 123 Santander. They give a decent overdraft (which she has yet to use!!) the free railcard is a brilliant perk, although we didn't just pick them because of that!

basildonbond Thu 29-Jan-15 21:58:12

Thanks everyone- v helpful smile

Littleham Tue 03-Feb-15 10:46:41

Oh dear. After recommending Santander student account, I have just had a massive problem with customer services & terms and conditions of the account. They were not overly helpful to say the least. Perhaps the incentives are not worth it after all.

Lets hope they sort it out. sad

MillyMollyMama Wed 04-Feb-15 20:11:11

My DD went with the one that gave the railcard. It was NatWest in her day. It was easily the best incentive! Having a local branch might be a consideration if anything goes wrong!

BackforGood Thu 05-Feb-15 18:53:44

Santander def got all the best reviews when we were looking last year.
ds appreciates the railcard, but he says their on-line banking is hopeless, so he uses a Halifax account for his day to day stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: