Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on masters choices?

(5 Posts)
Unicornofdoom Tue 20-Jan-15 14:26:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ttlshiwwya Tue 20-Jan-15 22:51:13

When I graduated (25 years ago) there were loads of opportunities for maths graduates with firsts. Many companies were willing to employ directly after undergraduate degree and to fund further training in various fields e.g. finance (actuarial/accountancy/investment analysis), engineering, pharmaceuticals, IT. I chose to do a masters (in a field of applied maths - fully funded by the old science and engineering council) but I was in the minority in my class and to be honest I don't think it made a big difference to my employment prospects as I didn't stay in academia. It's a shame things have changed and maths graduates need a masters to get graduate work.

No words of wisdom as I don't have current experience however I'd warn against choosing your masters carefully. I thought I'd like to do something in the financial area (lured by the money) but found it really dull. I switched to biostatistics and loved it. Some pharmaceutical companies I have worked for used to sponsor masters students in biostatistics (some of these were part-time degrees) however I don't think this is so frequent now (much more work in subcontracted to India/China etc. where there is an abundance of well-qualified graduates already). It might be the same in other fields.

Good luck.

toothlessoldhag Wed 21-Jan-15 07:48:21

You might try strolling round here - www.findamasters.com/search/?DID=11&SAID=52.

AggressiveBunting Wed 21-Jan-15 07:51:39

No point in a masters in accountancy- just get a training contract and become a chartered accountant.

iseenodust Mon 26-Jan-15 14:15:38

I'd go straight to accountancy with a view to an MBA in a few years.This would greatly expand your employment options and you may get it sponsored. I went from accountancy to NHS general management and received funding towards a Masters of Medical Science. No maths degree just demonstrating different paths appear from nowhere !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: