Talk

Advanced search

Gap year in Germany?

(8 Posts)
mrsmootoo Fri 16-Jan-15 19:37:40

Not sure if this is the right forum, but any suggestions for a gap year in Germany? (Earning money!) DD1 has offers to start university this autumn to study German, but has suddenly started to consider a gap year.

joopy79 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:19:33

How about TEFL? Teaching English as a foreign language.

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 16-Jan-15 20:25:51

Chalet host? Dh did that in France during his gap year, ahd a ball while earning then came home after the end of the ski season and spent the summer months earning money to pay for uni by doing office temp work. Meant the git could afford to go on ski trips and things all through uni until we rather accidentally had ds1 and his poor new ski boots have not been used since.

Bonsoir Fri 16-Jan-15 20:29:09

Austria is so much nicer than Germany!

Au pair in Vienna for a year?

hellokitty123 Mon 19-Jan-15 13:49:45

Bonsoir, I don't know where you've been in Germany, but there are some beautiful places as well as exciting cities in Germany! Munich, Hamburg or Berlin are great cities whilst the Bodensee Region (surrrounded by the Alps) as well as the Bavarian lakes are stunningly beautiful. But also the Rhine valley, the Donau region as well as smaller towns like Heidelberg or Freiburg are lovely.

Austria is also beautiful, especially the Alps, but the Austrian accent isn't that easy to understand.

It will depend on what your DD is interested in and whether she wants to take a German course whilst there. Many German companies offer (paid) internships so it might be worth thinking about the area she might want to work in later on.

Moominmammacat Mon 19-Jan-15 16:52:38

I was keen on my DS doing this but both school and uni (where he studied German) both said better to go straight to uni as it is already a four year course and they will get help in finding something useful for their year abroad once they are in uni. I don't think a gap year abroad is a bad idea but it does mean they wont start a "proper" job until they are at least 23 ... if that matters ...

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 19-Jan-15 17:02:03

plenty of people do gap years before 4 year courses, sometimes related to the subject, sometimes not. Doesn't matter. Both dh and I did languages and gap years, as did many friends.

Leeds2 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:22:48

Working in a hotel would probably be easy to arrange.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: