Advanced search

NHS funded courses and UK residency

(11 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Wed 07-Jan-15 17:03:19

I have been looking at a postgraduate diploma in a health profession and I understand that the NHS pays tuition fees for the course.

I have just contacted the University, who told me that to be eligible for NHS funding I must have been resident in the UK for 3 years as at the date the course begins. Trouble is that I currently live in Hong Kong, where I have been working for the last 5 years. I am British and we will be returning permanently. I am fortunate in that I have savings that I'd gladly spend on the fees so am not bothered about not getting NHS funding. However from what I can work out, if you are British you can't self-fund the course so I won't be able to apply for 3 years, which is sadly too late for me. Has anyone encountered this before; what would be the reason for this residency requirement? They allow international students to self fund.

titchy Wed 07-Jan-15 17:18:33

You should count as an international student. Nationality doesn't come into it, only residency.

JessieMcJessie Wed 07-Jan-15 17:35:22

University have confirmed categorically that "unfortunately as a British national you will not be able to self-fund the vourse a an international student". Also, by the time I apply I will be UK resident, but jut not for the requisite 3 years.

JessieMcJessie Wed 07-Jan-15 17:36:23

Sorry, typos "self-fund the course as an international student"

Scholes34 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:28:43

Is there a course in Hong Kong you can stay and do there?

Try contacting another UK institution with the same course to see if they give the same information about fees. It's a bit bonkers. You're usually classed as a Home/EU or Overseas student and pay fees accordingly. It sounds like you should be classed as Overseas for the purpose of paying fees.

Girlboymummy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:36:43

If it helps bolton university are doing a nursing degree that isn't nhs funded at all

UptheChimney Tue 20-Jan-15 10:23:25

It's about having paid into the system, I think. Otherwise, anyone with British citizenship eligible by having one grandparent born here, could apply for a 'free' well not any more place at a UK university.

I think it was Mrs THatcher who introduced that gem.

Bonsoir Tue 20-Jan-15 10:47:02

Unfortunately, living outside the UK and/or EU does place restrictions on eligibility for some educational courses in the UK.

Scholes34 Tue 20-Jan-15 12:37:59

Back to my first question then - is there a course you can do in Hong Kong if you've lived and paid into the system there?

UptheChimney Wed 21-Jan-15 17:27:26

You might be better asking contracts in HK about that. Or posting in one of the Living Abroad sections?

UptheChimney Wed 21-Jan-15 17:27:42

contacts, I mean

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: