Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

King's London - King's College London proposed re-branding

(17 Posts)
NCForVObviousReasons Wed 17-Dec-14 18:49:43

Utter idiocy. I am a KCL employee, god help me. My employer has purportedly spent £300k on a re-brand from King's College London to King's London. Apparently some prospective students found the word college a bit confusing. Doesn't that just show they're not KCL calibre? Nearly 10000 signatures on a petition started on Monday protesting about this. and lots more bad publicity to go with all they had in the summer when they were trying to force through redundancies.

So many good things in that place, but the management isn't one of them. sad

MadameJosephine Wed 17-Dec-14 18:55:15

How odd, it doesn't seem to be an issue for Imperial college or UCL so why KCL?

Decorhate Wed 17-Dec-14 21:58:24

In many other countries, college is synonymous with university and often used in preference. However, as a forriner, I have noticed that some people correct me if I use the term college when I am referring to a university- they associate it with sixth form colleges or higher level institutes which are not universities. Perhaps this is what's behind it?

peteneras Wed 17-Dec-14 22:14:03

Maybe we should all stop going to 'Medical Schools'. Utter lunacy and bloody ridiculous!

EBearhug Wed 17-Dec-14 22:17:24

All those Oxbridge colleges, they're not really that academic, are they...

I should have thought that if someone struggles to understand KCL is a university, then they're probably going to complain they haven't got halls in Buckingham House when they get into King's London...

peteneras Wed 17-Dec-14 22:39:07

And idiots will now think the world renowned London School of Economics is for sixth formers. . .

madeinkent Wed 17-Dec-14 23:23:43

DH went there, and always refers to it as king's London anyway. What a waste of money.

Figmentofmyimagination Thu 18-Dec-14 09:05:24

I'd be very pleased if my £9,000 a year - 30 years of tax on my income over £21k - was going to be used to fund this well thought through re-branding exercise. It's not as if KCL has an international reputation to protect as a research institution.

Bonsoir Thu 18-Dec-14 09:12:47

KCL is referred to as "Kings" anyway.

PausingFlatly Thu 18-Dec-14 09:18:26

King's London what? Boutique? Plumbing Service? Tour Guides?

Obviously their egotism can't quite cope with the thought that if all reference to college/university/education is removed, people's minds will automatically spring to them whatever the context.

HubrisPolice Thu 18-Dec-14 11:09:09

will won't spring to them

MephistophelesApprentice Thu 18-Dec-14 11:13:18

Ha! Dear me, alma mater, is that what my alumni fees were spent on?

Well, that's £40 a month you're not getting next year.

Merrylegs Thu 18-Dec-14 11:22:29

Ha, DS is at KCL Think they all just call it King's anyway, but nice to know they can now officially call it that for the money.

<extra weep at cost of sendng kid to uni in London>

ArsenicStew Thu 18-Dec-14 11:27:18

The principal has said they will rethink.

Ehhn Thu 18-Dec-14 11:27:49

It's total idiocy and a waste of money. King's London means nothing! The ucl/kcl parallel will be lost. Makes me very, very angry.

ArsenicStew Thu 18-Dec-14 11:30:15

An apparent exclusive in the student newspaper

roarnews.co.uk/wordpress/?p=15634

Thank goodness. Let's hope they rethink HARD smile

ArsenicStew Thu 18-Dec-14 11:34:56

Or more to the point, let's hope everyone lobbies HARD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now