Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'U' grades on UCAS application - help please!

(12 Posts)
Marina11 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:08:57

DS's UCAS application - in now with school for the reference so maybe too late?
But we need to include details about re-taking a couple of AS modules - not controversial, just something he forgot to put down.

Bigger question is - do U grades (at AS level - previous school) need to be entered? He's done so because we thought this was part of the declaration but I read that ungraded may not need to be entered. Or might there be some database that Unis use to check results?

He's re-taking one of the failed exams - and is now predicted a B so clearly he has made huge progress - but would the unis see it like that?

Many thanks!

peteneras Fri 12-Dec-14 15:53:42

'U' grades need not be entered or declared. You are asked to enter grades achieved - a 'U' grade is ungraded!

Marina11 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:37:09

Oh heck - thanks.

The application has gone back to the school for the reference and will be sent off. Two Us mentioned, and one is in the subject he's applying for.

Now predicted A for that subject (and in fact got A in the Summer AS exams) but a U at one point? Would UCAS change it? Or would they say that the declaration indicates that all exam results have been correctly entered?

webwiz Fri 12-Dec-14 20:35:48

You can get the school to release it back to you if you want to make changes.

peteneras Fri 12-Dec-14 20:49:42

If the application is still in the school awaiting a reference, can't your DS go back to school and retrieve it from the teacher-in-charge? Or perhaps he can phone the school asking them to hold on to the application as there's an important correction to be made. If it's already sent to UCAS, I don't think they will be doing any alteration without the consent of your son. From what I understand, the application will be forwarded to the named unis on the application form individually, i.e. each individual uni does not know where else your DS has applied to. Ordinarily speaking, what results that are entered on the UCAS form will be considered as having been 'cashed in'. Come what may, it's the final A2 result(s) next year that's really important and if he's predicted an 'A' then this would override whatever the AS grade is.

titchy Fri 12-Dec-14 22:36:55

Strictly speaking he should leave them in - universities WILL know about them, although not at offer stage. There is a slight risk though that they rescind the offer if he is found to have economical with the truth.

peteneras Sat 13-Dec-14 00:06:55

OP - an UPDATE!!!

I've just checked TSR regarding 'U' grade declaration (or not). It seems the advice I gave earlier is now outdated. It appears now that all public exams taken MUST be declared irrespective whether it's a pass or a fail. In particular, the subject that one is going to read at university MUST have all its AS and (if known) A2 results - pass or fail - declared on the UCAS form.

Scoobyblue Sat 13-Dec-14 09:11:17

Yes. You should definitely declare all results. The Uni will either already know or find out later and it will jeopardise an offer or place if it emerges later in the process.

Hakluyt Sat 13-Dec-14 09:14:03

I'm wondering how he is predicted an A at A2 in a subject he got a U in at AS level- is he retaking year 12?

Marina11 Sat 13-Dec-14 17:16:47

Yes, Hakluyt, he re-took year 12 - the U grades dates back to 2013. Things have improved so much - change of scene, change of attitude. But we are left with a couple of U grades which have been declared - probably too late to get the app back from the school.

Many thanks all of you for your replies - very helpful. And thank you, peteneras, for going to the trouble of looking the ruling up. I think I have to agree with you and Scooby that the grades should be declared - rough though it is!

WhaddayWant Mon 15-Dec-14 01:09:54

I hope it all works out for him.

I have to say I think it's really impressive to go from a U to an A. smile

lecherslady Mon 15-Dec-14 04:28:29

Yes, U grades do now have to be included. However, if there is such a dramatic difference, I would expect the UCAS form to contain an explanation somewhere - either in his personal statement or reference. I wouldn't let one of my students' applications to go off with no explanation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now